one

High school

High school.

To some rare psychos, the four years they spent here were the best four years of their life.

To the majority, it was a hell hole they couldn't wait to escape.

And some, just some, were so done with this administration they debated setting this building on fire with the chemicals they so conveniently placed within our reach... which is exactly what I told the principal when Mrs. Harrison took me to him. Or well, wanted to anyway. The only rebellious adventure I ever did embark on was of the literary nature, which is just a sophisticated way of pointing out what a complete dork I am.

"So, you're telling me Alexis here, burned the lab down?"

"Half of it," I interjected, only to be greeted with glares from both my bitchy chemistry professor and our uptight principal. Honestly, I didn't see the problem. Nobody was hurt, the fire was contained. So maybe they had to replace a couple of chairs and maybe some equipment. That's it. Nobody was physically injured, isn't that a fucking win?

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to call your parents Ms. Knight, this kind of behaviour isn't acceptable."

"You can't do that," and added in what I hope was a hushed whisper, "I didn't mean to burn the fucking place down, it just happened. And maybe if the damn chemicals were labelled correctly, this wouldn't have happened."

Turns out the whisper, wasn't much of a whisper after all.

"You want to say something?" Mrs. Harrison asked, looking down at me through her dark rimmed glasses.

"Absolutely not ma'am, but rather than calling my mum, isn't there something else that could be done? My mum's in Beijing, it'd take you days just to reach her cell," Lie.

"Well...okay but you have to serve two weeks of detention and volunteer at the tutor centre for two days each week for the rest of the year," the principal said, letting the parents' thing slide, surprisingly. Probably because, this was an honest mistake.

"Sounds awesome sir, can I go back?" I politely asked, already inching towards the mahogany door slowly.

"Yes but remember, detention after school for the next two weeks, starting today."

The moment I was out of the room, I raced to the lab where I was greeted with annoying waves from the annoying student body that I wished would be swallowed up by the ground.

I was a dark, dark human being. Well, not really. I just couldn't stand preppy teens.

"Yo, get suspended?" Brad asked, suddenly taking an interest in my life. He towered over me, his body, clad in the school's jersey, and prevented me from reaching my seat at the end of the class.

One thing I would never understand was the constant need the jocks and cheerleaders had to keep their uniforms on. Like, doesn't Target have enough clothes? Just go buy some and stop showing up in the same dull blue and white clothes every fucking day.

I'd never say that to their faces though, too much of a coward for that.

"Nope, but I did get detention and some stupid tutor stuff," I shrugged, before squeezing past him and walking back to my seat, but even then pesky teens couldn't stop pestering me until they had their take on the latest gossip.

It was annoying, to say the least. Now, I wasn't ignored or on the bottom of the food chain like you'd expect me to be, considering my dorky nature. I wasn't exactly ignored, but I wasn't exactly popular either. I just existed, desperate to get through these four years without getting into unnecessary trouble.

My life was one of the most boring ones I'd ever come across. I had three best friends whom I'd known since kindergarten, parents who treated their work as their child instead the breathing human being under their roof and a dog, named Malibu because I was obsessed with that city.

"Did you get suspended or nah?" was the first thing I heard when I reached my car after two mind numbing hours of detention.

"Nah, Charlie, nah," I answered my best friend who was casually leaning against the hood of my black Camaro.

"But you burnt the place down," he whined, like he wanted to me to get suspended. Such lovely friends, I tell you.

"I burnt half the place down dammit, and I didn't fucking kill anybody, stop blowing it out of proportion," I added and watched as Charlie walked and sat down in the car.

'Wait, what are you still doing here? It's 4pm, school ended hours ago,"

"I had swim practice and it got over half an hour ago. I was supposed to drive back with Nate but when I saw your car I decided to wait around and get your side of the story," he remarked turning up the radio, which was playing an unfamiliar tune.

"Charles, you're such a gossip queen," I chuckled when he turned and dramatically grasped at his chest.

"Don't call me that,"

"Drama queen," I muttered under my breath, but when he punched me in the arm, quite hard might I add, it was obvious he had heard me.

"Just fucking drive," he said, before hitting my over my head, inflicting pain on me, again.

I mock saluted him and drove off, while he continued to annoy me all throughout the whole drive.

"Oh my god, are you trying to get me killed?" I turned as we stopped at a red light, giving me a break from his continuous poking.

He dramatically gasped, again, covering his mouth with his palm, "How could you say that, I'd never do that,"

Not a drama queen, my ass.

****

vote and comment, please.