Chapter 17

They left before the sun rose in order to get into town bright and early. Mr. L and Dimentio were surprised to see the wind so calm. It was like the weather had been turned off at night. 

The sun was starting to rise once they made it to Main Street, and with it came a gentle breeze, although it was clear that the weather was too late to stop them, so it didn't bother fighting. At least, that's what Mr. L said. 

The town was even brighter than before. The large tree in the center was covered in multicolored lights and various ornaments. A shimmering silver star sat perched up on the top. Morning sunlight reflected off it, and for a moment Dimentio wondered if he would have been able to see his reflection inside had he been closer. 

They were looking for Town Hall. According to Mr. L, it was usually open to visitors. He claimed that there were a bunch of boring-looking files in there. Dimentio figured he must have visited once before or after volunteering at the tree lot. The jester silently wondered if the tree lot was still even open. Mr. L hadn't gone for a while. 

Just as they passed the library, Dimentio heard a soft voice yell "hey," from behind him. The jester flinched as if he was a child being caught. He had been feeling extra on edge lately. 

His fears washed away the second he turned and saw the small blue toad he had grown close to. 

"What are you doing here?" the little kid asked with a big smile. He placed his hands on his hips and tapped his foot, laughing quietly. "You're not supposed to be here until tomorrow."

"Tomorrow," Dimentio nodded, remembering the small book club meeting. It looked like another week was up. He had to have been nearing the third week of winter vacation. Was that too long to be on vacation? Or maybe it was too short. How far into December had he started this vacation? It was crazy how fast time seemed to be flowing. Days never felt complete. Each day supposedly lasted twenty-four hours, but it never felt that long. 

He didn't know how long an hour was supposed to feel.

"I finished the book," Dimentio told the toad with a small smile. "So we'll have a lot to talk about. I have a lot of questions."

"Oh, yay!" the kid cheered. "That was fast! It took me a whole lot longer! Oh, that's the best Christmas present ever! I can't wait now!"

A faint voice called a name that Dimentio couldn't quite hear, and the toad turned around. He giggled, then looked back at Dimentio and sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. 

"That's my mom," the toad said. "We're getting breakfast, so I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow, though!" 

"Alright," Dimentio smiled. "Tomorrow."

"And invite your friend if you want!" the toad chimed, nodding at Mr. L. "I like his blue eyes. They're pretty, don't you think?"

Dimentio didn't have time to answer before the kid was gone and Mr. L was smirking. He looked at Dimentio and raised his eyebrows slightly as if urging the jester to agree. 

"Oh, shut up," Dimentio laughed, gently pushing the man in green away. 

He wasn't disagreeing, but he wasn't about to agree either. Not in public in front of people. Definitely not in front of Mr. L. 

Besides... there was still something about those eyes. They still didn't belong to Mr. L.

"That was cute," the man in green said with a small chuckle, though his tone was genuine. "I didn't know you were good with kids."

"I'm not," Dimentio said. "I don't even know his name."

"Well, we'll find out tomorrow," Mr. L said.