Pieces Shifting to Place

CHAPTER 24

You and Shoko both startle out of their conversation as their eyes turn towards the window. It was a strange feeling. The sudden hair-raising sensation of being watched. All the hairs on the back of your neck stood to attention. A cold an eerie wind sitting on your nape. It was like nothing you'd felt before, but somehow you could identify the feeling of being... locked onto. It lasted for a moment, before disappearing once more.

A shiver runs down your spine at the feeling but you pass the feeling off as your immagination. The important thing was hearing what Shoko had to say.

"You're cursed seal-" She tried to answer your question before being immediately cut off when you felt that same feeling returning, and even stronger than before. The wind at the window picked up its pace and blew inward, sending the curtains into a frenzy. It was an ill wind. You turn your face back towards Shoko only to see that her face had become impossibly paler, which was a feat all in itself. Something was wrong.

"Shh." She raises a hand and immediately shushes you. She sat up straight and listened for any unusual sounds or movements, her pupils so large it was easy for you to make them out. You stared at her face in silent anxiety until she decided she couldn't hear anything and immediately turned back to face you.

"What the hell was that?" you whispered.

"Surveillance spirit." Shoko's hand tightened on her blanket. "I wasn't sure at first but now im positive. It's locked onto you, I'm guessing the trigger is whenever we say..." she immediately goes silent but you could pick up what wasnt said between the lines. Cursed Seal. What the hell was that even? " -those words. Fuck. We can't stay here, you were already locked onto twice, now whatever the hell caused the spirit to lock onto you will probably be on its way."

"What even is a surveillance spirit?" You asked, watching as Shoko shakily steps out of bed, wincing as her bare feet touch the ground. Gingerly houlding the side of her ribs as she hobbles over to the door, with you close on her heels.

She turns to look at you for a moment before speaking. "Think of it like a tracking device, but it only works within a specific area. On three we rush to the door. No matter what happens don't stop until you get to the bakery, okay?"

You nod and you both lean on opposite sides of the door. Your breaths came out in puffs and you stared back at Shoko, who was clutching her rib cage as her breathing came out in shivers. Your heart was hammering in your chest and many thoughts flooding your mind. If a hospital filled with people wasn't safe then what more of a small bakery sitting in the heart of the city? It was an open area, mostly devoid of people except the night crowd, but no one goes to a small bakery in the middle of the night.

Even if you doubted Shoko's suggestion you still thought staying at the location you were "locked unto" at would be a very bad idea. Plus, this whole world of sorcery business was not something you understood. But she did, and her first reaction was to hightail it out.

"On 3" Shoko whispered.

"One." The small hospital clock ticked loudly, it seemed like all the years of being ignored had finally paid off and it ticked with a loudness and intensity you had never heard before.

"Two." Tick.

"Three." The third tick is amplified by the shattering sound of glass and an explosion. The commotion of Shoko and you pushing the door opened by a sudden cacophony of screams, that greeted you as you burst into the hallway. You are pinned to the ground, by the sight before you.

Directly before you was the dark night sky, the edge of the building and the elevators having completely disappeared.

What the fuck...

______

Gojo's musings are rudely interpreted by a feeling he had grown all too familiar with during the curse wave of the past months. He immediately ripped off his glasses, peering into the dark night, his blue eyes glowing immediately lighting up the insides of the car.

Several clouds of murky grey soared towards the hospital, moving at breakneck speed. Before he could even register what was going on they slammed into the hospital before him, sending shattered glass and rubble in their wake.

He jumped out of the car, ready to rush over before he was pulled to a halt by an invisible chain that seemed to bind his neck.

"What if all this is that... fakes plot? If I rush over right now then the plan will definitely crumble."

Curses moving at such high speeds was a feat almost never seen. By the time he noticed it the accident had already occurred. The only way a curse could move so fast was if it was speed was it's innate skill, but the possibility of so many curses having the same skill and being in the same area at once was almost impossible, so the only explanation was the curses were achieving such high speeds by burning their own "life force" or... cursed spirit manipulation.

"So is it really Geto?"

Gojo clenched his fist, his eyes glued to the devastation or the once sturdy hospital that had several gaping holes of different sizes. He wanted to move but his feet were glued to the ground. He was conflicted, his six eyes technique making him all too aware of the devastation before him. Fountains of information flooding his mind. The screaming, the pieces of rubble that weren't just pieces of rubble but the unlucky souls that were simply too close to the collision.

Another color soon pulled his attention away, a human figure darting into the building. A sorcerer.

A deep sigh of relief flowed out of Gojo's body as his worry evaporated somewhat. He leaned into the car as the strength sapped from his body, before he knew it he was sliding down to a seated position on the rough asphalt of the parking lot. Sitting with his legs to his chest, a bright red color finally attracting his intention.

Streams of blood flowed from his palms from four curved holes he had accidentally created from the force of the clench of his fist.

Suddenly, Gojo felt the urge to laugh. It has been a long time since he had felt that sense of powerlessness.

"One point to the fake."

A/N
Listen.
Who doesn't love a good conflict of interests 👁️