Goodbye, love.

[intro] 

You both sat at the ends of the table. The table was long and the atmosphere stale as you tried to meet his eyes.  Those eyes that were as slippery as an eel; he evaded expertly.  You could remember, back when you both were in high school, how the same eyes stayed glued to your from across the hall.  You missed those times.

"Why." You ask as calmly as could. You clenched your fist under the table where he couldn't see.   Holding yourself together through sheer power of will.  You were normally very strong, facing life head-on, but with this...  You just wanted to run away.

"...Y/n."

You hold up a shaky hand. "Don't Y/n me. Just tell me the truth. Please."

"...Y/n, I can't keep leading you on like this. Us. We were never meant to be." A pain deep and biting ripped your frail heart into even more pieces. You look away, missing the pain in his eyes as he finally looked at you.  

His work was never easy. It was never light to bear the weight that at every moment there was a chance that you'd never see him again. You had gotten used to this risk to some extent and even though it hurt you found a way to work through the problem. Like you always did. Why was this time different? Why?

You couldn't help but doubt yourself.  Did I do something wrong?

"...Are you sure about this Nanami?" Your voice shook as you asked the question. Praying. Wishing. Hoping that something would change. That he would come to his senses and stop this madness.  Apologize for putting you through this so we could move on and forget all about this.

A long pause. Your heart falls with every inhale that you take.

"I'm sure."

A tear runs down your face and for the first time since you both had sat in this room, your eyes met each other's.

His heart shattered.  He had never seen you cry before. Each time when he had come home more wounded than the next he saw your kind and patient care but never this. This hopelessness.  This pain.

"Okay."  It takes a while but you pull yourself together, even though it was obvious you were fraying at the very seams.

You wipe for eyes and take one last look at his face. This face you had been helplessly in love with for as long as you could remember. Taking the time to engrave his every feature to your memory. You smile at him. The last smile you would ever have the energy to muster in a long time.

You knew he still loved you. How could you not? Deep within you, you knew that this was not simply a goodbye to a marriage. No. It was far more than that.

It was goodbye to the only man you had ever loved.

And maybe, you thought,  the only man I will ever love.

A/N

Hey!

I don't really know what to say actually but I'm happy that you decided to stop by.

Also, a special welcome to those who are from youtube!  

Hope you all enjoy this journey as much as I probably will,

Yours truly,

Jae