The Plant That Feels

CHAPTER 7

In the end, you decided to carry the flower home. You left it out in the living room while you went into your bedroom to sleep, you were kind of worried you had killed it. So before you slept you carried it to sit by the window sill in your bedroom so it could bathe in the early morning sun. You didn't really mind it's presence while you were sleeping, as long as you weren't staring at the face (or being stared at by the face for that matter) it wasn't bad company. In fact, with the plant nearby you felt even more clear-headed than usual, the usual mind fog especially after a long day of working at the bakery was gone. Maybe it was the fresh air from the plant? They do say that keeping a plant nearby while you work is good for your health, you had never tested it before so you could only assume that the study was correct.

Now that you were home you took off the necklace that Gran had gifted you and examined it in full detail. Originally you had thought of it as simply a necklace but now that you examined it in detail you realized it was an amulet.

After years of working with Gran you had grown to have a keen sense for the supernatural, though you had yet to find any definitive proof that the supernatural did, in fact, exist. Just looking at this necklace was enough for you to sense that it wasn't normal. Though, nothing Gran had ever given you was of 'normal' origins.

Gran had a habit of collecting and hoarding strange things. Sometimes Nanami did as well, but compared to Gran the things he collected were much tamer. The only thing you can think of is that Nanami had a dull blade that he kept up in the attic wrapped up completely in white bandages and patterned with nonuniform black spots. He claimed it was for 'emergencies' but in truth, could a blunt knife even help in emergencies? Maybe if you planned to clobber the intruder with brute strength alone.

This collecting habit also forced its head into my life when Gran had gifted you a totem that had shattered on touch. His reaction told you that the shattering was totally within his expectations but why would he give a gift that would shatter when touched?

It was pretty late when I finally crawled into my bed. I wasn't tired but I had an early day tomorrow. The bakery was open from 9-6, with several exceptions. Even with this fair opening and closing time I often had to be at the bakery by 7 in the morning and I'd often leave whenever all the work was finished which often meant late. The pastries were freshly baked and I was one of three permanent workers, who worked on rotation. During summers my work would get easier because many female students opted for working in a cute little date location, but during the normal running times when our customer flow wasn't very stable, it was usually just a lot harder.

Your mind ran wild, and you finally manage to fall asleep, but it didn't last long.

You woke up with a start, your mind buzzing.

Wide awake your eyes drifted from side to side in your room, your breaths coming out puffing and labored. You lifted your fingers to your face, they were cold and numb.

How strange, your eyes drifted up to the air conditioning, which would usually shine with a light red hue when on. It was dark, you didn't see anything.

The air around you felt dry and charged, charged with this sensation you couldn't quite place. It was a familiar feeling. Slowly, you hobbled to the light switch on legs that felt less than your own. With a click, light-filled your room and you looked around for the cause of your discomfort. Everything was the same except the plant you had left by the windowsill, somehow it looked even more vibrant than it had the day before. You reached over and touched the plant gingerly. Nothing had changed, the screaming face was just as it was the day before.

In order to examine the plant closer, you stoop in a way that left you with the plant at eye level, you were closer to it than you had ever been before. Looking closely, you could see a few sprouts of new leaves.

Before you could examine closer you notice the plant shifting ever so slightly, maybe you'd breathed a little too close or something but you were positive the plant had moved. It was only then that you noticed the sharp edge of the plant, small and jagged. Curious, as if compelled by a force of evil you dragged a finger against the plant. It felt smooth, and normal.

Strangely through touch, you could feel that the plant wanted something. It was a weird feeling.

Shakily you wobbled to your phone.

"..hello?" A tired voice came from the other side of the line. It was only then that you registered that it was the middle of the night.

"...Hey, Mr. Suguru."

"Getou," He cut in, "Call me Getou."

"Uh, sure." I began again. "The plant you gave me. Gran... Mr. Zenin, won't be back for a while, so the plan will be in my custody. Are there any specific care requirements for the plant? Also is it supposed to be so cold? It's like an air conditioner."

"Its special feature is that it releases 'chill' when it is in an environment it likes. I'm surprised that you found out this skill this early, The plant probably really likes you."

"...The plant likes me?" Y/n was confused. Plants aren't pets that like their owners. Plants weren't very intelligent. All they ever really did is grow, bear fruit, and die. Maybe even bloom a bit. Plants don't have emotions.

"You must be thinking that plants don't have emotions right?" Spot on. "But can plants emit a chill? Do plants have the face of a screaming human? Do plants shudder when there is no wind?"

Your breath hitched. How did he know? You hadn't mentioned that as you were internally rationalizing it to yourself.

Suguru yawned loudly. The sound was the most normal thing you were hearing.

"Meet me tomorrow?"

A/N 

yELLOW! 

I'm alive!  Yes, I know you're shocked.  After all, I haven't updated in so long.

Happy Thursday everyone!