The Shift

CHAPTER 21

You sat in the hospital in silence as you reviewed your interaction with Nanami.  According to your previous memories, Gran had sported a limp for as long as you had known him.

You tried to sort your thoughts into chronological order.

You were at a bus stop.
You called Shoko.
She took you to her house.
She healed your scratches
You argued.

Then what?
It was blank.

Your brain started to pulsate and pulled your wayward thoughts to a halt for a bit before you resumed thinking.  The pain returned with a vengeance, once again interrupting your thoughts. There seemed to be some sort of resistance within you whenever you tried to think back to the happenings of earlier that night.

You weren't too sure why you believed the sudden "memory" (if you could even call it that) as absolute fact but somehow you felt it was and that was enough.  Because of the strange pulsation you couldn't quite recall the events of earlier that night. You looked at the wires plugged into your arm in numb confusion for a moment before resolutely yanking it out of your arm.  If you couldn't think back to what brought you here then you had to go back to Shoko's and figure out what happened.  Cautiously this time.  You hadn't forgotten your distrust for all of them.

Sliding off the bed on legs that didn't quite feel like your own you pulled your gown closer to your body.  Looking around for an escape route.  Waiting until visitors hours were over was impossible because it would be too hard to leave then.  You didn't want to spend a second longer in this place, you needed to figure everything out and you couldn't do so sitting in a hospital bed.  You needed to find the answers to the problem of your memory, maybe if you did you could piece together the whole situation now.

You pushed open the door, peering out into the corridors.  Your stomach dropped a bit.

The crowded hallway was near impossible for you to push through.

——

He sat in the back seat of his car for a moment, parked across the street from the hospital as he scouted the entrance of the hospital building.  From his vantage point he had full view of the entrance.  All while being totally hidden by the dark and the tint of his windows.

He watched the crowds of people moving in and out of the hospital leaning between the passenger and drivers seat and flipping his phone between his fingers absentmindedly.

He watched as the blonde man finally left, probably after checking on Shoko and took off in his vehicle, heading in a direction unknown.

His phone rang.

Gojo looked down at it before smiling palely.

Caller: Nanamin

Wordlessly he silenced his phone, and shifted his posture a bit to one which was more comfortable.  Leaning back and kicking his feet up.

His eyes flickered as he took in the dark skies. Out here the sky seemed grey under all the city lights and dust, obscuring the stars, making it seem like a pool of murky water. 

He had worked all day, trying and failing to pin down Gran's location, he was dead tired, his blue eyes vaguely red around the rims.  And yet he stared at the entrance, waiting with bated breath.

He wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

——

"Do you know where the restroom is?" You asked quietly.

Upon recieving the answer from a rather confused looking lady, you padded blindly following her instructions your bare feet making slapping sounds as you waddled through the crowd. 

Your eyes scanned the walls of the rooms as you passed them

R23
R24...
R27?

A strange aura seeped out from under the door of the room.  It was very familiar but instantly made you become impossibly more alert. 

'Should you continue forward or leave it be?' 

Your heart was screaming to investigate but your instincts made you want to turn in the opposite direction, away from whatever was in the room.

There was nothing wrong with staying in the hospital, maybe you were here for a reason.

Your head pulsated a bit as your thoughts strayed back towards figuring out the reason you had turned up in the hospital.  It wouldn't hurt to peek anyways.

You walked to the door confidently, as if you knew what you were doing. 

Apart from a few strange looks here and there you finally managed to reach the room and pull open the door, the skin on the back of your neck raising to a crescendo.

Gently, you pushed the door open, half expecting to see a monster like the one you had seen earlier. But somehow what you were seeing felt so much worse.

The curtain writhing the room gently swayed as the inside breeze came in though the window, as the light cast behind from behind you landed gently on the deathly pale face before you.

"Shoko?"

A/N

I have never struggled so hard to publish a chapter in my life.  I completely changed the way I do scenes now too , expect to see more pov shifts because I'm expanding the story outwards

(Tell me what you think about the shift and if you want me to change it back)