Seeing is Believing

Chapter 13

Nanami POV

It was darkening quickly but I could still read her lips like the day was bright and the sun was still shining. But the sun never really shone these days, and somehow I wished I couldn't see it.

Why?

It was a simple question. Im not even sure she realized that she mouthed it. Her eyes were unfocused somewhat, glossy with more than just tears. A haze. But in that haze, she spoke a word that sent a jolt through my heart. The sheer familiarity of it. A single word, yet still I couldn't bring myself to give an answer. I didn't know the answer. I never did.

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Traffic rushes on before us and I watch her as she flickers before me, her eyes red from tears, her cheeks shimmering under the headlights as cars pass. Each temporarily formed a barrier between us that seemed to stretch miles instead of a few steps. She was so close and yet so impossibly far away.

I wait impatiently for the light to turn red. Once it turned red I would cross the street and we'd talk, I didn't care about the consequences or the stupid plan I had concocted to keep her safe. If keeping her safe looked like this then I didn't want it anymore. I could tell. She was deeply hurt, and I didn't know why. Why? It was an instinct of sorts, after years of spending your life with someone, sometimes words just weren't even necessary. Just seeing her standing there you could tell that something was awfully wrong. So wrong so that you longed for the ability to teleport across the street to her. It was kind of ironic, even in the world of the supernatural, I still found myself under the control of the natural. There were still things I couldn't do. Things I couldn't fix.

My mind couldn't help but flash back to my interactions with Satoru and Shoko. They were hiding something from me. Was it related to this?

The second ticked by.

Greenlight

I held Y/n's attention from across the street refusing to look away. Deep within me, I could tell that once I looked away she would leave. I stared across the street. The cold wind rustled through my hair and made my jacket flutter. I didn't move, my senses muted as all my attention was chained to the woman I love with such deep and moving passion that I couldn't even seem to form words seeing the reflection of her stained cheeks. It was the second time I'd seen her cry, yet both seemed to bring me to my knees.

Yellowlight.

Her expression was one of a mixture of embarrassment, overwhelming sadness, and confusion. Her eyebrows wrinkled into a thick knot I wished to rub undone. She should always be smiling, and happy. She was the most amazing person I had ever met, she shouldn't have to go through any of this. Yet all I could seem to do is drag her deeper and deeper into the quagmire.

Red-

My legs moved faster than my brain itself could keep up with but my footsteps came to an abrupt halt.

A blaring ringing my phone.

My attention shifts in that split second, and in that split second of looking away, Y/N disappeared.

"Fuck." I audibly cursed

I reach into my pocket and answer the call.

This better be something important

Y/N POV

You're still not sure why you ran away. His gaze was like a fire that scorched your very soul, you weren't scared of him. It was quite the opposite, you loved him. Nothing that happened had changed that reality. That's what scared you.

The way his eyebrows drooped together when he was focused. The blank face he had whenever he woke up, the confused way he stared at you every time he saw you. His wordless care. The way his whole face seemed to light up like a christmas tree when he laughed. The way he'd tilt his head when he asked questions. You loved him.

All those feelings came rushing back as soon as you saw him, but with it came the tainted feelings of loss and confusion.

You were torn.

Your feelings told you to trust this man infinitely, and you knew that if he crossed that street you would have melted into a puddle at whatever explanation he gave you. But your rationality spoke differently, he lied to you. He lied to you. He lies you. He lies. You-

You don't know how you got home. You don't even know if the door was closed behind you. You found yourself curled on your couch, knees tucked to your chest. You weren't sure whether to cry, scream, or laugh. In the end you did all three, a weird awkward mixture that somewhat alleviated the crushing feeling within your chest.

All your emotions seemed to gather there, in your heart, every beat it made seeming to tear an invisible barrier.

You sit, up clutching your forehead and staring blankly, before your eyes made contact with another pair.

Outside your window, on the roof of the house opposing yours was a...

A monster.

Author's Note

I reread the whole fic recently. It's kind of cool seeing my ideas becoming more and more concrete over the course of around a year (or two?). Its kinda followed me through the highs and the lows and stresses of this year (s).

I apologize for the slow updates but I'm afraid they're prolly not going to come out any faster. I rather spend years on this than rush it and hate it, you know?

Thanks for sticking around if you're someone from the original days, its nice to see yall still voting:).  Most of yall are pretty quite and don't post comments much but seeing the votes convinces me I'm not just writing into the void.

Also, the view count went crazy recently?  What happened?