Chapter four

Armani sat still, hitting her pen on the table anxiously. The hair on the back of her head seemed to have risen and cold sweat soaked her back. All this anxiety had a simple cause.

The woman sitting beside her, her elbow propped on the table and her face nestled on her hand, brown eyes watching her every movement and a small smirk on her pink lips.

It had been like this since Blaze had entered the hall. She stood at the door, scanning the classroom quietly until her eyes landing on Armani arranging her books at her seat. Blaze had yelled out "PRETTY BLACK ANGEL AT THE BACK!", drawing everyone's attention before running to where a startled Armani sat, dropping her black sling bag on the table and sitting beside her, assuming the position that had Armani sweating buckets at the moment.

"Good morning, Blaze," Armani managed to say, her lips shaking and her eyes glued to her table.

"You didn't text me," she said flatly.

Armani looked away from her the table, settling blurry eyes on her hands. "I was busy."

"You weren't," she said. "You look even better than last week. Like you respawned. Did you visit your family?"

She nodded.

"Spot on," she laughed. She finally sat back on her seat, leaning backwards and putting her hands on her neck. "I was waiting for your text. Or call. But I guess I was presumptuous," she gagged on the word. "You're a princess. I should be the one texting first. Forgive my manners."

Armani turned to her, an apology already on the tip of her tongue. She stopped when she saw a wide smile on her lips. She was kidding.

Armani blushed.

"That said, can I have your number?" She placed her phone on the table, her dialpad open.

"Right," she muttered under her breath, her hands trembling as she picked the phone and dialled in her number. She placed the phone back, unable to hand it to Blaze.

Blaze took the phone back and went silent. Armani waited, expecting her to speak but she didn't. They sat in silence for ten minutes before the lecturer entered. He was a balding man of maybe 50 and shorter than her 5'6 mother.

The lecture began in full swing and Armani still heard nothing from Blaze. The few times she turned to look at her, her eyes were focused on the lecturer, attentive to whatever it was he was saying. Armani sighed softly and turned back to the board. She needed to pay attention too.

Just when she was finally able to listen, her phone rang, startling the entire hall. Armani felt her spirit leave her when everyone turned to face her again.

"I'm sorry," she yelled, hurriedly turning her phone off. The lecturer sighed before continuing the lecture.

She took calming breaths, hoping to ease her thumping heart. She glanced at Blaze but she wasn't looking at her at all. Her hands had stopped trembling and she lifted her phone to see who had called her. It was an unknown number. Right under that, an unread message from the number followed.

“You're so cute when you're flustered, lol.”

Armani frowned. The person was watching her right now. Was it a stalker? Someone who got her number somehow? She decided to reply the person, hoping for an answer.

“Who's this?”

“Your prince charming, angel.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Wanna get dinner with me later?”

Armani was stumped. This person wasn't normal.

“How'd you get my number?”

“You just gave it to me, lmao. You're too cute.”

She looked up to face Blaze. Her brown eyes bored into hers, a big amused smile on her face. "Well? Wanna get dinner together?"

Armani felt her face heat up, burning all the way to the roots of her hair that was packed high on her head.

"Princess?" Blaze called. "What do you say?"

She dug her nails into her palms. This was her asking her out on a date. It meant she liked her. Why though? She was always nervous and quiet with no social life. She was much bigger than most people. The internet called it thick. She called it big. Blaze had nothing to gain yet she was asking her out.

"Can I think about it?" She asked.

"Of course, take all the time you need until four thirty."

"But that's..." She trailed off. No need to ask. She knew what she meant. "Alright then."

Blaze smiled wider. "Let's get lunch then, it's on me."

"Lunch?" She asked. "But what about dinner?"

"Dinner's a date. Lunch is just for fun."

Armani couldn't keep up with what she was saying but went ahead it anyway. "Okay."

"We'll go together after class. Sounds good?"

She nodded before turning her attention back to the class. It was her first time going to lunch with someone since middle school.

The rumor of her being a lesbian had followed her to high school and the few people who had been friendly were just curious or wanted to try out lesbian sex. It was a horror. She preferred to not hang out with them than be a tool.

But with Blaze, it felt a bit real, a bit true. It didn't seem like a prank. Neither did she look like she was playing her. She was slightly excited for lunch. And Blaze just confirmed it was a date.

She blushed again. Today was far to out of her comfort zone but it wasn't as scary as she thought.