Chapter Fifteen

Depuis le début

"What?" Alex asked him.

"You just gonna let me kiss you and that's it?" Kayce stuck his hands in his jacket pockets.

"You don't like us kissing?" Alex bit her lip.

"No, I like the kissing," Kayce laughed. "I just want more."

"You always want more," Alex rolled her eyes.

"Can you blame me?" Kayce shrugged.

Alex swallowed, her fingers coming up to twist a piece of her hair around them. Her eyes watched Kayce walk over to where she was standing.

"What?" Kayce asked her, concern flashing across his face.

He reached out and gently held one of her arms.

"My uh...therapist," Alex cleared her throat. "He told me that...it might not be a good idea."

"What's not a good idea?" Kayce asked.

"Well," Alex looked into Kayce's eyes. "Sleeping with you."

Kayce's eyes narrowed, a frown appearing on his lips.

"I'm not saying he's right," Alex shrugged quickly. "But he told-"

"The fuck does he know?" Kayce snapped.

Alex blinked at the sudden change in Kayce.

"Who says something like that?" Kayce continued. "He has no idea what you and me are."

"He's saying that," Alex tried.

"Did you tell him to mind his fucking business?" Kayce scoffed.

"If you'd let me speak I could tell you what actually took place between us," Alex huffed.

Kayce took a deep breath but waited quietly.

"I told him about you...and me," Alex felt incredibly vulnerable right now. "I told him how you make me feel...what we've been doing, and not doing."

Kayce's eyes didn't lessen the intense gaze he had on Alex.

"He said that you and I...mostly me," Alex tugged on her hair. "Need to figure out what's best for me and not jump into things...that you and I could hurt each other pretty easily because we're both going through some pretty intense shit."

"And me caring about you is wrong?" Kayce asked, sending more butterflies into Alex's stomach already filled with anxiety.

"I-I think...you're not looking at the full picture," Alex tried to keep her voice from shaking.

"The full picture?" Kayce asked and Alex nodded. "What's the full picture if it's not just you and me?"

"Kayce..." Alex sighed, not having expected to get into this right now.

"Tell me," Kayce challenged.

"Alright," Alex eyed him. "Who's the last person you slept with?"

"What does that have to do with you and me?" Kayce bit back.

"A lot actually," Alex sighed. "The woman you're currently divorcing and in a custody battle with? The woman who does not like me and never has...certainly doesn't like me near you or your son."

"Not her fucking business anymore," Kayce shook his head.

"But it means something," Alex explained to him, gently touching his arm. "To me if not to anyone else...and if you say this is about you and me, don't my feelings count?"

Kayce glanced at the ground in thought for a few seconds. His eyes were still tense, but not as dark anymore.

"She's always gonna be my ex-wife, Alex..." Kayce sighed and looked back up at her. "She's always gonna be a part of my life because of Tate."