|| Chapter Eight ||

(Y/N) let out a loud battle cry as she pummelled concrete

(Y/N) let out a loud battle cry as she pummelled concrete. She did not use her quirk. She simply slammed her fists into the wall until they were battered and bloodied. She let out another scream. No matter how much noise she made, it was never enough. There was a knot in her stomach that wouldn't leave, a tension that she desperately wanted to expel. She leaned her forehead against the concrete. Tears rolled down her cheeks but she hadn't noticed them, she was too fixated on the inner torment that roared within her.

She pushed herself off the slab. She had been in the training arena since four o'clock in the morning. It was now six-thirty and she had classes at eight-thirty. She couldn't sleep, no matter how hard she tried. Rest was kept from her.

(Y/N) wiped her hand down her face. She smeared blood across her cheeks, mingling with the salty tears that stained them. She sniffled, only to grimace at the strong metallic smell of the blood invading her nostrils. She stepped away from the tower of stone. The arena was eerily silent once she quietened herself. The night sky outside was calm and peaceful, but in the training arena, the silence was suffocating.

(Y/N) stared at the dents she had made with glaring intensity. Her blood dripped down the fractured concrete in slithers. She frowned at the sight. Her eyes began to twitch with anger.

She felt pathetic.

She felt stupid.

She felt useless.

She let out another scream as she pulled her first back. Her skin was enveloped with the heatwave-like energy. She smashed her fist in the block. She smashed into it with ferocious force while simultaneously performing her spider-web attack. The block collapsed in front of her. She didn't move even with the dust blowing into her face. She stared, trembling, at the fallen rubble before her. It reminded her of the Shie Hassaikai compound after it had been partially demolished. She remembered the spikes jutting out of the ground. She remembered the crater Midoriya had placed her in after she'd collapsed. She remembered rising high above the bunker as she pulled Overhaul's skull apart.

She ground her teeth together. Her eyes began to blur. She slammed her hands onto the floor and let out a guttural roar from the depths of her feeling. The ground trembled with fear. The walls shook with fright. The concrete blocks created by Cementoss began to waver as their foundation crumbled. (Y/N) seethed through a clenched jaw and hissed out sharp exhales through her grinding teeth. The energy in the room jittered as (Y/N)'s power thrashed through it. (Y/N) sank through the floor. More and more dust pillowed into the air. She breathed it in. It tickled her throat but she didn't cough. Her eyes watered but they didn't blink.

Her muscles shook painfully. A rock bounced off of her back as blocks of concrete collapsed around her. Shards of crushed rock shot toward her, slicing at her skin, bashing off her bone, bruising her flesh. The lights that hung from the ceiling crashed onto the floor, their individual bulbs splintered with pressure and spewed a shower of glass onto the ground below.

(Y/N)'s face was suddenly flushed with heat as an explosion erupted in front of her. Her skin burned with searing warmth and her flesh boiled with pain. She was propelled backwards by an immense force. Her back slammed against the wall harshly. The concrete that made the foundations of the arena shook from the momentum before crumbling down like an earthquake had hit it. (Y/N) stared up at the shattered wall falling onto her with blurry eyes. The intense pace of the situation was too fast for her mind to cope. Another explosion erupted at the centre of the room but (Y/N)'s mind was too boggled to fully acknowledge it. Next thing she knew, a hand had wrapped itself around her torso. She was thrown up into the air, hurtling through the plumes of dust before landing clumsily on the grass outside of the arena. Further explosions were heard but she paid them no mind.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, extra?!" A boisterous voice screamed into her face.

(Y/N) gasped at the sudden berate. She gawked at the classmate she didn't recognise. Her mind was too frazzled to fully comprehend what was going on.

"Yamasaki! Are you even listening to me?! Were you trying to kill yourself?!" The blurry figure jabbed a finger at the arena which was now half-molten and falling to bits. "You could have been crushed! What the fuck were you thinking?!" The figure barked.

(Y/N) squeaked with worry. She shifted away from the figure who insulted her so. She scrambled backwards unsteadily. The figure approached her with a scoff but she moved away. She scrambled backwards on the ground with frightful eyes.

"Jesus, Yamasaki," the figure shot forward and clutched both of her arms. She let out a shocked shriek of panic. She kicked her legs forward to try and pull away but the figure kept their grip tight on her. "Stop struggling! Calm down!" The figure spat.

(Y/N) whimpered but did eventually stop. She breathed in deeply and tried to calm herself down. "Bakugou?" She mumbled once her vision cleared and she regained a sense of what was happening. She inhaled sharply through her teeth. "Did you blast me with an explosion?" She wondered as gazed upon her burnt arms.

"Oh, that's what you're worried about!" He scoffed. He let go of her. "You almost killed yourself in there!"

(Y/N) finally allowed herself to look back at the arena she had destroyed. She frowned at it deeply. "I lost control..." She muttered, more so to herself than anyone else, but Bakugou heard it clearly. "Oh god..." She dropped her head into her hands. She sniffled before pulling herself off of the floor. "Thank you, Bakugou." Her eyes brimmed with tears again. She rushed towards him and wrapped her arms around his torso. His arms were trapped by her embrace. She leaned her head against his chest and let out a quiet sob.

"Get off me," Bakugou growled darkly. His left eye twitched with irritation.

"Right. Sorry." (Y/N) breathed as she pulled away. She rubbed her eyes roughly. "I don't know what happened. I- I can't control my quirk." She brought her eyes to meet his and stared into the crimson iris' momentarily. They were beautiful in the twinkling starlight. (Y/N) sighed and rubbed her eyes again, trying to rid them of tears. "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," she earnestly apologised. She fought back the waves of tears that wanted to make an appearance in her pathetic show. "What are you even doing here?"

"I'm always up at this time," Bakugou grumbled with a grimace. While he was still apprehensive, he was significantly less hostile.

"Oh." (Y/N) mumbled. She looked at him for a moment's longer before moving past him. However, as she rounded his grounded figure, he caught her arm, halting her movement. She looked at him with a puzzled expression.

"Is everything alright?" He questioned. His compassion was almost frightening when it came from him.

(Y/N) looked at him for a second, silent. Her heart was beating rapidly. Her throat was scratchy and sore. Her eyes stung with the lack of sleep and crying sessions she had endured. She felt wholly vulnerable as the victim of his harsh gaze. She gulped and averted her eyes from his to the floor. "Yeah- Yeah, I'm fine." She nodded unconvincingly. "I just need to take care of my quirk more. I- I need to do some research." She flashed an awkward smile. She brought her gaze back up to his before gently pulling her arm from his grip. "Thanks again." She turned from him and headed back to the dorms.

Bakugou followed her with his eyes, lingering on her distant figure. He frowned.