Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

We are so busy trying to annoy Baron that we don't notice Miss Sandy until we almost bump into her. We stop and turn to her with apologetic looks on our faces.

"As much as I enjoy a good Christmas carol, you three are terrible and making too much noise." She scolds.

"I'm sorry miss." Kennedy apologizes and we mutter our quick apologies to back her up.

"Shouldn't you be at lunch?" Miss Sandy asks.

"Yes miss, we just came to pick Kennedy up." Wesley replies.

"What are you doing here then? Be gone." She demands.

"Yes miss." We all reply and scramble away stopping by Kennedy's work station so she can grab her things.

"And Kennedy..." Miss Sandy calls out just as we're about to walk out the door.

"Yes miss." Kennedy replies.

"I expect your Christmas themed piece to be done by the end of the week." She demands.

"Yes miss." Kennedy replies.

We cannot walk out of there fast enough. The three of us burst out laughing while Baron is making fun of us for embarrassing ourselves but we aren't deterred. We pick up where we left off until we finish the whole song.

"Come on Baron where is your Christmas spirit?" Kennedy asks him.

"It's barely one week into December. I'm sparing my Christmas spirit for the actual date." He replies.

"What you are, is a buzz kill." Kennedy retorts.

"That he is." Wesley agrees.

I hum in support and drape my hand over Kennedy's shoulder. She grins up at me and I kiss the top of her head. I love how she fits right by my side like she was always meant to be there. Suddenly the smile on her face drops contorting into one of pain.

"You okay?" I ask her alarmed by the sudden change.

"Yeah I just need to stop by the bathroom real quick." She answers a bit panicked.

"Okay I'll take you." I reply.

"You don't need to, you go ahead with the guys, I'll meet you at the cafeteria." She replies.

"I don't mind, I'll wait outside." I assert.

She sees the defiant look in my eyes and caves. "Okay fine."

Our friends walk ahead of us while Kennedy and I walk towards the girls bathroom. I wait outside aimlessly scrolling through my phone while she goes in. I come across photos of us at the gallery on the night of our first date and smile. Planning the perfect date for her was hard because I wanted to impress her. There was so much to choose from so I decided to do something related to the one thing she enjoys most. I earned myself some pretty great points seeing as we had our first kiss at the end of the night.

Her sister Astrid is also great and we got to talk more when she dropped Kennedy off for her shift at Frosty Dream the next day. Her parents might not like me but her sister does and for me that is a huge win because Kennedy cares more about her sisters opinion than that of her parents.

Ten minutes later I realize that Kennedy has been in there for too long. I can't hear anyone else in there and even though I'm not allowed to enter the girls bathroom I get worried and do so. It's cleaner than the boys bathroom, no shock there. There's a few stalls and all of them are open except one. I walk towards it and knock softly.

"Berry are you okay?"

"Yeah!" She chokes out in a tone that lets me know that everything is not okay.