29; The Road Less Travelled.

Start from the beginning

She waited for him to say something. Knowing him, he isn't the type to stay quiet, especially not in a situation like that. He would normally prod, till he gets some sort of response. That's what the Aahil she knows would do.

But, he proved her assumptions wrong. He didn't say a thing, much to her astonishment. He simply kept his gaze set ahead, never once turning around to acknowledge her, or do anything that would make her uncomfortable. He believed she preferred the silence, and so, didn't want to burst that bubble for her.

Though truth be told, he was there for something else. Something that's really important and requires him telling beforehand rather than for her to hear it somewhere else. He was glad she slipped her location in the note she left for him—an action she has no idea why she bothered to do but doesn't regret it.

If she hadn't done that, perhaps, he wouldn't have arrived exactly when she needed him. The whole thing played out in her favor that is, him being aware of her location.

Aahil thought of whether to break the news to her or not. She's already going through a lot. He'd rather not add to her problems, even if it isn't something they can ignore. It'll turn up. Earliest, the next day.

So be it. He decided. They should deal with it tomorrow and focus on handling their current issue at the moment. That matters the most anyway.

After a while, when the silence began to bother her, she parted her lips to speak. "Thank you." Her voice came out low, her gaze set on the sea ahead as well.

Why is she thanking him exactly? She has no idea. He didn't exactly do anything, at least, none that she knew aside from showing up in that exact moment when she needed someone. That right there is what he did, and that mattered the most. It weighed above everything else. God knows what would've happened if he hadn't made an appearance then.

"—thank you for...being there." She blew out a shaky breath, her eyes no longer glossy with tears. Perhaps, it was anger weighing over her emotions, or perhaps she was simply fed up with everything at that point that she couldn't even bring herself to cry.

Whichever it is, the tears are nowhere to be found.

Aahil said nothing in regards to her words of gratitude. Instead, he asked something else—something that has been at the tip of his tongue since he found her. "Are you okay?" He inquired softly, still not turning around to look at her.

She suspired, pressing her lips together for a brief second before she clicked her tongue, her response following the action. "No." She admitted, shaking her head in the process. "I'm not okay." She stated earnestly. There's no point in lying anyways, and she didn't feel like it.

She seems to be baring her soul out to Aahil a bit too frequently. It's happening for the second time that week and she has no regrets whatsoever.

He turned his head around to set his gaze on her. She could feel his gaze on her, she could even spot it from the corner of her eyes, but she refused to acknowledge it. She didn't want to see the look on his face. It's probably that of pity, and she wanted none of it.

It might just be her breaking point. She'd rather have none of that.

He remained silent for the next few seconds, before his voice came, as he shifted his gaze back to the sea as well. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Her fingers curled around the cold rail, but she paid no heed to it. Instead, she pondered the question. Does she want to talk about it? Yes, perhaps she does. She's been thinking of it the whole drive, might as well let it out before she runs mad.

She reached her free hand to scratch the spot between her brows, before dropping it. "I want to blame him for hitting on me like that but really..." She blew out a loud breath. "...he was right. I brought it upon myself."