ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6

𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲

𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲

It's been a few hours after Shane tackled Jim to the ground

It's been a few hours after Shane tackled Jim to the ground. He had tied him to a tree to calm him down, but to me, it seemed inhumane to do that. Like he was some rabid dog that bit someone and needed to be put into time out. I sat at the table with the rest of the kids, drawing once more. I can't help but glance at Jim every once in and while. I hated how I felt bad for him. I wasn't supposed to get attached to these people, or even feel bad for them. The only reason why I stayed here was because of Evangeline. But now I promised to keep someone safe!

And I never break promises.

I get snapped out of my train of thought by a tap on my shoulder. I look towards the person who tapped my shoulder and I see the boy I promised I'd keep alive, Carl Grimes. He seemed confused. "Hey, are you okay?" He asked. That's when I realized I had been staring off at nothing. I give him a soft smile and nod my head. "Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking." I reply. I go back to drawing, I add a few touches of the person's hair. I smile as I scrape the black lead on the once-white paper. As I continue to draw, I feel my stomach curl with sadness and anger. My smile slowly disappears as I begin to drown in my thoughts again.

I hear leaves crunch to the side of me. "Hey, kids. It's lunchtime, let's go." Lori states. I grab Evangelines' hand and begin to walk to the campsite. Jim calls out to Carl and he stops to turn to Jim. I watched but I felt like I was intruding. I just take Eva and walk to the site where I see Jacqui and Miranda handing a few of the kids sandwiches. I hate to admit but I'm getting so sick of sandwiches. Ever since the world went crashing down, the lunches have been sandwiches. Peanut butter and jam or ham and cheese. But, beggars can't be choosers...I want a burger so bad.

━━━━ » • »« • « ━━━━

They still haven't made it back. It's been all day and they haven't come back. It was just supposed to be an in-and-out, quick, and easy rescue mission! I can see some of the adults began to worry as well.

It was dinner time now, and everyone was sharing stories or jokes around the campfire. I laugh every once in and while, and I can tell Dale hears my laughs and likes that I'm including myself more. Evangeline makes comments on some of the stories and tells a few of her own. I love hearing my little sister talking to everyone and even talking about before life had changed. I continued eating my dinner and looked up to Andrea asking her sister where she was going. She makes a joke about how she didn't know she had to tell everyone when she was using the restroom.