ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2

𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐛𝐢𝐞

𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐛𝐢𝐞

As the day continued, I noticed Dale was sitting in the hot sun

As the day continued, I noticed Dale was sitting in the hot sun. Dale had been on the lookout for us since the group formed. However, when I and Evangeline joined, I'd stay up late until I was unable to stay up any longer because I wasn't sure he'd be able to protect us. And I will admit it, he isn't half bad at it. Something about Dale, makes me feel safe. He reminds me of my grandpa, kind, gentle, funny, and really good at fixing cars.

I felt bad that he was sitting in the sun so I grabbed an umbrella from the RV and climbed up the ladder. He noticed me and smiled at me. The first time he tried to talk to me, I just listened to him. I didn't answer his questions, I just stared at the ground. So, he probably knows I'm not a big talker. As I finish getting up all the way, I slowly shimmy towards him.

He was sitting down on a lawn chair, looking out towards Atlanta. I look out towards Atlanta as well. Once I get closer, I open the umbrella and pull it over his head. I see him look up at me at the corner of my eyes. He takes it from me and holds it. I sit on the RV van roof, beside him, and tap my shoes together.

We both look out and just enjoy the company. "Raven," I say. He looks back at me, confused. "Raven Williams," I repeat, not looking back at him. "Dale Horvath." He says. I nod my head, to tell him I'm listening. I already knew his name, but it was kind of like starting new.

"You have a nice name." He says. I smile upon hearing his words. "Thank you. But, my sister's name is better." He leans forward in his chair and looks down at me. "Oh really?" He says, with a bright smile. "Evangeline, Evangeline Williams," I say. I crisscross and look up at him with a proud smile.

"I must admit it, that is a pretty name." I nod my head. "I named her! If I had the choice to change my name, I would." He shakes his head. "I like both of your names. They both suit you." I smile. It felt nice to have a different feeling besides doubtfulness and tension. It felt like... peace?

Well, it was peaceful until I heard a distant siren blaring up the mountain. I stand up and look at Dale. I quickly get off the RV and run to my tent. I grab my bow and my arrows. I throw my shoulder quiver over my shoulder and run back out. Evangeline ran towards me and asks;

"What is that noise?!" I pull her behind me as I see a bright red car pull up. I grab an arrow and ready it, I watch everyone else to see their reaction. Shane had a gun ready and began to walk up to the car. The car door opened and I readjusted my fingers on my bow. Then Glenn comes out of the car with a happy smile.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Turn that damn car off! Are you crazy!?" Dale yells walking up to the car, he leans into the car and presses a button to turn it off. Shane walks closer to the car with a confused look on his face. "Where is everyone else?" He asks. Amy, a girl who'd been too young to go out on runs, walks up to Glenn. "Andrea?" I wasn't a big fan of Andrea but that doesn't mean I want her to be left at Atlanta, for Amy's sake. Before Glenn could answer, a moving van drove up behind the bright red car. 

I look behind them and see a few people come out of the car. I smile seeing the families and friends reunite. I looked back towards Evangeline and she seemed sad. I sighed, understanding what she was feeling. I swallow my own pain and hold onto Evangeline. Dale notices Evangeline's sad look, but gets distracted by T-dog calling out to a 'New person'. I look back towards the moving van and see a man. He seemed guilty... Guilty for what? What did he do?

After a few seconds, I hear Carl yell. "Dad!" He begins to run towards the man and Lori follows soon after. I smile, sadly yet happy, at the man and the boy. I feel Evangeline's grip tighten. I look down at her to see her holding back tears. I look around for a second before walking back to my tent with Evangeline.

I am very happy that they all made it back, safely. And I'm happy that Carl and his dad have reunited. But I can't shake the feeling of jealousy in my veins. I give Evangeline one of her favorite books so that she can get her mind taken off of things. And then walking back to the rest of the group. I had my bow and quiver on different shoulders, I fixed them to a more comfortable position as I got closer.

I see the man, meeting everyone and introducing himself. I wrap my hands around my quiver and take a deep breath. I reach my hand out to him and softly speak "Raven Williams. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Grimes." I say as he takes my hand. I lightly shake it. "Just Rick is fine." I nod my head and remove my hand from his. I glance at Shane. I didn't feel right about him at the beginning, but now I really don't feel right about him. Something's changed. And I have a good feeling it's about our newbie, being back in the picture. "Where's Merle?" Shane asks. The group that was out on the run all looked at each other or the ground. Especially Rick and T-dog.

Ah. Now, I understand.

 Now, I understand