Chapter 16 - An Attack On Notre Dame

Start from the beginning

"He already has."

"So, you're giving up? That's it?" Hugo asked, coming closer and staring at his friend in disbelief.

"These chains aren't what's holding you back, Quasimodo." Laverne tried to explain.

"Leave me alone." He snapped.

The gargoyles stared at him sorrowfully, unable to get him to snap out of his self-pitying state. They each hopped over to the edge of the cathedral, overlooking the city, as they reluctantly left him alone.

"Okay. Okay, Quasi, we'll leave you alone." Hugo sadly gave in before turning to stone.

"After all, we're only made out of stone." Victor stated, doing the same.

"We just thought maybe you were made of something stronger..." Laverne added and then also turned to stone.

Quasimodo continued to keep his head lowered, filled with regret and no hope left inside. However, he could hear Frollo's voice echoing from below and he raised his head, a look of anger on his face.

"For justice, for Paris, and for their own salvation!"

Quasimodo managed to pull himself closer to the edge, looking down at Frollo, the miserable gypsies and the screaming crowd that pleaded for the couple's salvation. He also saw Esmeraldo, his expression filled regret while his sister's only reflected fear.

...

"It is my sacred duty to send these unholy demons back to where they belong!" Frollo declared as he lowered the torch and set the kindling ablaze.

(Y/N)'s eyes widened in horror as the flames consumed whatever lay below her and Esmeraldo. Her gaze darted around wildly, watching as the crowd tried even harder to break through the wall of soldiers and the gypsies yelled out in dismay.

...

"NO!!!" Quasimodo bellowed, his voice sounding out over the screaming crowd.

He pulled at his chains, causing the pillars they were attached to, to shake and quiver. Even small bits of stone and rubble fell from above and even the bells began to chime, seeming to sense Quasimodo's anger and determination as he strained against his bonds.

...

(Y/N) coughed at the harsh smoke that wafted into her face and she struggled harder against the ropes that held her back. It was all chaotic, hot and blurry. Yet, in the midst of it all, she could feel as Esmeraldo, after great struggle, managed to hold on tightly to her hand. Tears sprung to her eyes and she squeezed back, showing that she appreciated the gesture.

Esmeraldo stared up at the sky as the smoke started to swirl around him. His eyes were filled with tears that were threatening to spill over and all he could do was hope for a miracle.

...

And it would soon arrive.

Quasimodo pulled harder at his restraints and, in an incredible display of strength, toppled over the pillars that kept him chained up. His expression was of pure determination. He was ready to break free and stop Frollo once and for all.

He rushed over to the edge, grabbing hold of a length of rope and tying it to a gargoyle head. Then, without hesitation, he jumped out of the cathedral, swinging to the side, before pushing himself off. He flew over the crowd, eliciting cheers and gasps of amazement, as he landed right on top of the stage. He ripped off the ropes that were tied around his sister and Esmeraldo before slinging her limp body over his shoulder.

"Quasimodo!" Frollo growled out.

Esmeraldo toppled to the floor, coughing violently but hadn't passed out like (Y/N). The wind had only blown the smoke his way a few moments ago while (Y/N) had suffered their full force.