Chapter 12 - Utgard Castle

Start from the beginning

"We better hope so. There's not really any back-up plans."

"Well, no pressure at all."

A familiar silence rose between the pair, but they soon reached a row of arches moments later that led to where the rest of their ragtag squad was conversing. Leah watched on as Hange spoke enthusiastically with Moblit about something they couldn't quite hear. As they approached the few steps that led up to their squad, Levi paused and turned to look pointedly at Pastor Nick. "Hey, Holy Man. Go to Hange, tell her Leah and I will be there in a minute. And don't even think about trying to run off, I'll be watching."

Nick narrowed his eyes at Levi and then Leah before scampering over to where Hange, Moblit and a collection of the 104th cadets were gathered. Levi's eyes followed his movements until he was satisfied that Nick wasn't getting away. He glanced around them before taking Leah's sleeve and pulling them to a gap between a wall and a stack of wooden crates. "We need to talk." Leah furrowed her brow and leaned against the brick wall. "What is it?"

"I don't know what's going to be waiting for us outside these walls," Levi said in a low voice. "But I can't go." Her eyes widened and she leaned in towards him. "What do you mean you can't go? You told Erwin-"

"I know. But I can't." He let a hand rest on his thigh and winced slightly as he shifted his weight. "I'll only do more damage."

"I'm going." Leah said stubbornly. She could tell where this conversation was going by the look in Levi's eyes; vulnerability twinkled in his pupils, he was going to try and appeal to Leah's sensitive side. He was going to advise her to stay too. And she couldn't do that. "But you're hurt-"

"I'm staying with Eren, Mikasa and Armin. They need someone to look out for them. It's my responsibility as their Captain." Leah cut him off and made to walk away but Levi grabbed her wrist. When she met his gaze he was giving her a pleading look. "Leah..." After a pause, Levi sighed and looked at his feet, relaxing his grip on her wrist and dropping his hand to his side. "Break another bone out there and I'll kill you. Got it?"

A chuckle rose in Leah's chest. "Got it."

"And don't even think about dying out there. There's something I want to talk to you about when you get back."

-

Levi and Leah strolled over to the rest of the group to just about catch the tailend of a conversation between Pastor Nick and Hange. "Fat lot of help you are!" Hange cried, storming away from the balding priest. "Thanks for keeping us company, it's been fun." Their tone rose with anger and sarcasm towards the end but they paused in their tracks when Nick started speaking, barely above a whisper. Leah moved to lean against a crate of supplies, feeling slightly light headed with the pain rising in her ribs.

"I'd offer my help if I could, but a duty as great as this one is beyond me... The Order of the Walls abides by the sacred will our faith commands us to obey."

"Who's sacred will?" Hange challenged, narrowing their eyes suspiciously. Levi moved to perch next to Leah against the box. "You mean like God or something?"

The Pastor shut his eyes tightly and frowned. "I can't answer that. But, what I can do is provide you with a name..." Leah leaned forward, her interest piqued. Everyone watched Nick with intense curiosity. "An individual the sacred will in its divine wisdom instructed us to monitor."