Chapter 16

Even though it's a blue shirt, I still don't like him

I woke up to a loud bang throughout the tower. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked at the door in my room. Had monsters appeared in the tower? Another bang sounded and I threw the covers off and stood. I grabbed a t-shirt from the stool by the desk and threw it on. I found my pants next to my bed on the floor and put them on. Then I grabbed a book from the small bookshelf as my weapon and sneaked over to the door. I grabbed the handle and peeked out in the hallway. The hallway lay still in the darkness.

Another bang erupted from somewhere in the tower. I sneaked out of my room and closed the door behind me, then I tiptoed down the hallway with my book securely in my hand, ready to throw it at whoever was around the corner. I pressed the button by the elevator and lifted my book slightly, ready for attack. The doors opened to reveal a dark, but empty elevator.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and slowly stepped into the elevator. I pressed the button for the common floor. The doors closed and the elevator began moving. Another bang shook the elevator and I tightly gripped onto the railing.

"This does not bring out pleasant memories," I muttered under my breath. I hitched in a deep breath and closed my eyes briefly before the doors opened. I stepped out with the book in my hand.

Another bang sounded, this time it was louder. I was getting closer. I peeped inside the living room before entering.

Everything was dark as it was still night outside and no one was awake. Which was a bit odd since there were these loud bangs throughout the whole tower, so it must've woken up the others by now. Perhaps I should have woken them before I went down here on my own.

I shrugged. It was too late for that. I glanced around the living room, my eyes searching for whatever were making that noise. When I couldn't find anything, I walked into the kitchen only to find it abandoned.

A loud crash sounded behind me, and I whipped around, raising my book in defense. But when I turned, everything looked as it did when I had just passed there moments ago. I returned into the living room and looked around.

"Am I going crazy?" I muttered. I walked over to the couch and slowly sat down. My body was stiff, and I couldn't let myself relax. It felt as if someone was looking at me. Like I was being watched.

I jumped when the elevator dinged, indicating someone had arrived on the floor. I quickly grabbed the book I had placed at my side on the couch and stood. My eyes were fixated on the elevator. The doors slowly opened, and I held my breath. I felt for water near me and felt a slight tug in my gut as I prepared for attack.

The doors slowly slid open, and I raised my book.

My heart nearly skipped a beat when two people came running out of the elevator.

Out with them a flying thing came. I squinted my eyes at the monster, not sure what it was. Was it a Fury? I wasn't sure. It could also be something else.

"Kill it!" one of the two people shouted. I was about to open my mouth to answer her, but the male next to her replied stressed.

"I can't! I lost my sword down at the other floor! Why can't you kill it?" he yelled over the monsters hissing.

"I lost my dagger!" she yelled angrily back. The bird thing - it looked like a pigeon, I frowned - made a hawk sound and dived towards the girl who let out a shriek.

I panicked and threw the book at the bird with all my force. I was lucky I didn't hit the girl in the head. The pigeon fell to the floor with a soft thud. It stood and shook its head then pointed its pointy eyes at me. It shrieked at me and launched towards me. I stumbled backwards, widening my eyes as I realized my mistake by provoking it. I jumped over the couch to get some distance between us, but the bird just flew over it... which I didn't think of. So, I ran out in the kitchen and tried to put the kitchen island between us. But it just flew over it. I flicked my hand and water from the sink sprayed over the creepy ass bird.