Chapter 9: the Apology

Kallus had finished his reports for Captain Rex and was curled up in bed, enjoying a holobook when Cal finally arrived, BD on his shoulder and his sleeping clothes slightly askew. Cal glanced sideways at Kallus as he entered the room, then collapsed into the spare cot on the floor. BD's thrusters let him hover above the man before the droid settled down in the charging station in the corner. Cal turned over and over in the sheets, adjusting the pillow, wrapping himself in a blanket cocoon. Then he dug himself out again, kneeling like he would while meditating and locked eyes with Kallus. Soft, green eyes.

"I'm really sorry I punched you," Cal said.

"It's quite alright—"

"No, it's not," Cal snapped, "Jedi aren't—" he took a gulp of air, blinked at the ceiling and continued, "Jedi are not supposed to do the things I do. Feel the things I feel. Act like I did today. And I am sorry for that."

"I accept your apology, Cal," Kallus said honestly.

A small smile pulled at Cal's lips, "Thank you." Then he laid down on the cot and pulled the blankets to his chin.

An hour after Kallus had finished a chapter of his holobook and the lights on the airfield beyond his window finally turned off, Cal asked him a question that Kallus didn't quite catch. He thought the man had fallen asleep hours ago.

"Pardon?" Kallus asked in the dark.

"Do you think I'm a bad Jedi?" Cal's voice sounded small.

"No," Kallus said, sure of himself, "I think you are a very strong, powerful Jedi."

Cal didn't respond for a long while. Just a quiet hum. And Kallus assumed he fell asleep again.