Chapter Twenty Seven•Night Fever

A month into her new life, and Eliza had truly never been happier. She got a teaching job in a local school district right before the year started, and was loving it. She had bonded with a few other young teachers at her school, the three of them forming a pretty solid friend group. Eliza was spending her weekdays working and her weekends exploring. She was a single girl in her twenties living in Los Angeles, and she was soaking up every second of it. Whenever she could she would take bike rides along the coast, walked the beach, and visited the lively party scene happening throughout the town.

Every Friday night, Eliza and her group of friends would visit the local bars until the sun came up. This one was no different, and around seven pm, Eliza departed her apartment and went to meet up with her friends.

Wearing a dark blue tank top and a pair of cut off jean shorts, topped off with a large pair of golden hoops and her long blonde hair pulled back into a high, slicked back ponytail, Eliza was ready for the night. The bars were only about a half mile from her complex, so Eliza decided to walk and take in the California breeze. Her favorite pair of black heels clicked across the sidewalk as she made her way to the bar.

When she arrived she was greeted by her friends, who already had drinks in their hands.

"Eliza you made it!" Julia came over and gave her a hug, who was probably Eliza's favorite of the group. She was a second year teacher who was a California native. She had a breeziness about her that Eliza found comforting even in her most stressful moments as a teacher.

"Yes, finally. I'm gonna go get a drink."

Eliza made her way over to the bar and ordered her favorite, a vodka cranberry. As she was waiting to be served, she noticed a band setting up in the corner of the room. Taking her drink and heading back to her friends, she reported back on her findings.

"Did you guys know there was going to be a live band tonight?" Eliza asked.

"No, but that'll be cool!" Her friend Hayley said. Hayley was a fifth year teacher, the oldest of the group. She was the mom of the group, making sure that everyone stayed in line on their nights out.

They danced to the music being played by the bar until the lights went down and the band came on. Eliza and her group made their way over to watch. She felt a hint of her past come back to light, but she shoved it down. None of her friends knew of her past, and she would like to keep it that way.

The band began to play, and Eliza didn't recognize the song they were playing or anyone in the band.

"Do you know any of them?" Eliza leaned over and asked Julia.

"Nope."

Eliza continued to observe, and the man behind the drums immediately caught her eye. He had shaggy blonde hair, no shirt on, and wore surf trunks as pants. He was absolutely killing it on drums. She watched him pound away as the band completed their set. When they were done, they immediately packed up and Eliza and her friends went back to partying.

Eliza had gone through her first drink and went back up to the bar to get a refill. She stood by the bar, waiting for the bartender. As she was being handed her drink and began to pull out her wallet to pay, she noticed someone come up from behind her and hand a card to the bartender.

"Drinks on me." The mystery person said as Eliza took her drink and turned around. It was the drummer from the band, and he had just paid for her drink.

"Thank you." Eliza said, trying to keep herself from blushing.

"I'm Taylor." He said, sticking out his hand.

"Eliza." She responded while shaking his hand.

"I saw you in the crowd earlier."

"Yeah, you did amazing."

"Do you play?" Taylor asked, intrigued by her musical knowledge.

No, I've just, been around a lot of bands." She said, trying to avoid hinting that she had been very closely related to one of the most famous bands of all time.

"Oh, well that's cool."

Eliza looked up at him, realizing how cute he was.

"Favorite song. Go." Taylor said, smiling.

"Ummmm. Shoot." Eliza had to think for a second. "Probably One More Look At The Night by Andy Gibb." Her mother had played it for her all the time growing up.

"Dude, I love The Bee Gees!" Taylor exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's a great song."

Taylor smiled and so did Eliza. Just as Taylor opened his mouth to continue the conversation, one of his band members came back into the bar.

"Taylor, the bus is leaving. Get over here."

Taylor turned and sighed. "Looks like I've gotta go. I'll see you around." Were his parting words before turning and jogging towards the door.

Eliza headed back towards her table, feeling emotions that were once only supplied by Dave.