Chapter Twenty Three

"No! Stop!"

The yell caught both Michael and the ghost's attention. It was Mr. Yamamoto. If anyone else had called out, she probably wouldn't have listened, but it was so rare for him to interfere with her killings that she turned her head.

Mr. Yamamoto looked just as surprised as she did. Michael's heart started thumping heavily, the axe inches above his head. He realized that now was the time to move out of the way, but he couldn't force himself to leave his father's body.

"You... you can't kill him," Mr. Yamamoto insisted, his voice shaking. "You already killed his father..." Michael flinched.

"Since when have you ever tried to stop me?" She didn't sound angry, only curious, as if it was a genuine question.

"You don't have to kill the boy as well, do you?" Mr. Yamamoto argued nervously.

"He looked me in the eye," she recited.

"I know... but his father sacrificed himself," Mr. Yamamoto pointed out. "Isn't killing him good enough for you? You would render his sacrifice worthless if you killed the boy anyway."

Michael shook his head incredulously, despite his shock at Mr. Yamamoto trying to save him. Did he really think that would stop her? She killed anyone she wanted.

But to his surprise, the ghost seemed to consider his words. She lowered her axe, along with her head. Her stringy hair fell over her face again as she considered the damage she had caused... and her first willing sacrifice.

Mr. Yamamoto glanced pointedly at Michael as she hesitated. Michael knew what he was telling him. Get away while you still can.

He tried as much as he could. But every time he moved away from his father's body, he felt the coldness return – not on the outside, but in the pit of his stomach. Despite the horror and nausea he felt witnessing his father's lifeless body, somehow, the guilt and devastation he felt when he tried to leave him was much worse. It should have been him.

"It doesn't matter!" Her voice startled him so much that he fell over. It lowered to a soft, deadly hiss. "The boy will still die. His father was a fool for sacrificing himself."

"Wait!" Tomiju cried. "What about Sakura and Kenji? Are they free now, since he was killed?" He turned his head to the train, but couldn't make out anything.

"Only one of them would be," Mr. Yamamoto muttered. "One sacrifice frees one of them."

"Which one?" Tomiju demanded, pressing his face desperately against the train window. "Where are they?"

"It only occurs when the sacrifice truly loses his life," Mr. Yamamoto explained.

"Well, hasn't he?" Tomiju demanded. "Just look at him! He can't stay alive much longer."

Michael felt a flash of anger at the eager tone in his voice, but he supposed he couldn't hold it against Tomiju. He'd be happy to sacrifice somebody else to bring his father back."

"Usually, there's some indication," Mr. Yamamoto muttered. "A flash of light heralding the transition to the other world..."

Tomiju barely listened to him. "If she kills the boy too... they'll both be free!"

Thankfully, the ghost turned her attention to him, her eyes narrowing as she observed the man standing close to the train. "I thought you were offering yourself as the sacrifice."

Tomiju went silent for a moment before replying. "I... I was. But if killing them both would free my family..." He trailed off as Michael froze.

"No!" He jumped at the sound of Riku's frightened, trembling voice. He had forgotten that he was there, though he looked on the verge of running off again. "You can't let her kill Michael!"