Chapter Ten

"We're here!" Akira cheered. "We're in Minato City!"

The most relieving words Michael had ever heard. He didn't think he could be as enthusiastic about trains again.

Evidently, Akira felt the same way. She hopped and jumped around on the train, ignoring her mother's warnings.

"Cut it out! The train might have stopped, but that's no reason to run around," Mrs. Miyamoto scolded.

"That was even worse than the flight!" Akira groaned. "I'm so glad to be off!"

She has no idea how bad it really was, Michael thought with a shudder.

But he was relieved that she hadn't told on him for getting up in the middle of the night. She didn't even make a snide comment about it, as he had expected. Maybe she wasn't so annoying after all.

As they were leaving the carriage, he heard her whisper to him, "I only won't tell if you let me on your phone for the rest of the day."

He groaned. Or maybe she was.

He let her take his phone. He couldn't care less about that when the terrifying events of last night still repeated in his ears. He wanted to tell Riku, but he was afraid he'd think he was a wimp. The other boy seemed to like him now, talking casually with him as they walked through the train. Despite the terror of last night, Michael was slightly glad he had the nerve to join him. At least they were friends now.

Then his terror returned as he caught sight of the passengers. They looked the same as last night – they hadn't changed one bit. The same creepy expressions, the same sorrowful eyes. None of them seemed to be getting off at this stop. A few raised their heads as the new passengers departed. They had a desperate, pleading look in their eyes – the same expression as the little girl. As if trying to warn him of something.

Well, no need to warn us now, Michael thought. We're getting off.

But there was something odd about their expressions. It seemed like they were trying to warn him, but it also seemed like they were pleading him to stay on the train for a little longer...

Michael shuddered. No, that couldn't be it.

"They're so creepy," Riku muttered, not even making an attempt to soften his voice. "They weren't even asleep when I bumped into them. They just sat there with the same creepy looks on their faces. They didn't even budge when I tried talking to them. Isn't that weird?"

Michael nudged him with a glare. Not just because he was afraid of the passengers hearing, but because he was afraid of his father hearing. Thankfully, he didn't seem to.

He jumped as he caught sight of the little girl again. She was staring at him with a strange mixture of sadness and relief. He quickly diverted his gaze from her, making sure to stay away from her. He'd rather put up with Akira's pinches than the girl's icy hand on his arm.

He relaxed slightly as he caught sight of Kenji and Sakura, though Riku didn't. He seemed as startled as Michael was to see the girl, glancing away in fear. They seemed completely normal as they ran up to greet Michael.

"How was the train ride?" Kenji asked. "Was it the fastest train you've ever been on?"

Michael nodded. "Totally." And the most terrifying train I've ever been on, he thought.

Sakura didn't say anything. She was staring off into the distance, sadness filling her dark eyes.

"Well, it's a shame you're getting off now," Kenji said. "But I guess you have to go."

"Do you have to?" Sakura spoke up. Her eyes were pleading now. "Can't you stay for a little longer?"

"Uh... I'd love to," Michael lied. "But my family gets off at this location."