Chapter Seven

"Wait!" Michael called. He got to his feet so quickly, he almost fell over. He clung tightly to the top of the seat while stepping out into the aisle. Riku turned around. Even in the darkness, Michael could see the smirk on his face. "So you're coming?"

"Only because I kind of need to go to the bathroom, too," Michael lied. He privately hoped that he actually would need to soon, so he had an actual reason for leaving.

His heart pounded with every step as he clutched the headrests so tightly his knuckles turned white. He jumped as his hand brushed against his stepmother's head, but she didn't stir. As the train gave a sharp swerve to the right, he stumbled, almost falling over again. He felt more and more tempted to return to his seat. He couldn't believe he was doing this just to impress Riku. 

But he was possibly his first friend in Japan. After arriving in Minato City, they might get the chance to hang out if Riku liked him. He'd have somebody to talk to aside from his distant father and annoying sister. His stepmom was alright, but he felt distanced from her as well, since his real mother who he was closer to was at home. Besides, he hadn't met another boy around his age who wanted to be friends with him since arriving in the country.

As he caught up with Riku, the other boy grinned at him. "Nice job, Mike! I knew you had it in you."

He raised his hand for a high five and Michael happily returned it, even though it made him stumble slightly. Hearing his approval almost made it worth the nervousness and guilt he was feeling, as well as that nickname. He hadn't heard anyone call him that since entering Japan, since it was reserved for his mom and close friends.

"Where are we going?" Michael hissed, pausing as they were about to exit the carriage.

"I told you. The bathroom," Riku replied, his eyes shining. Michael recognized the mischievous glint in them.

"No. Where are we really going?" Michael demanded.

Riku rolled his eyes. "Come with me and I'll show you."

Michael reluctantly stepped out of the carriage. He jumped as he heard a loud snore from his father. Maybe he had been snoring softly the entire time, but he hadn't noticed. His heart started pounding again, worried he might wake up. He didn't even want to imagine how much trouble he'd be in. He closed his eyes tight and waited for a few moments as the train remained silent and his heartbeat slowly calmed down.

"Come on," Riku urged. "Don't just stand there."

Michael turned his attention to his new friend and carefully followed him through the train. He didn't know how he could walk so quickly, holding his phone in one hand and clutching the seats with the other. Michael could barely walk without nearly stumbling. It was almost as nerve-wracking as the time he went ice skating with his mom and kept falling over. Except almost worse, since the ice rink wasn't moving at full speed.

Despite the narrow beam of light illuminating the train, Michael could barely see where he was going. He was too afraid to look up. Every jolt of the train felt like it would send him stumbling forward. He was afraid to go any faster. One foot after the other, one hand over another seat. Even the slow pace he was going made his heart pound and legs quake.

"Hurry up!" he heard Riku's annoyed voice call. But he couldn't force himself to go faster. He wanted to yell at the other boy to come back and not leave him alone, but he couldn't quite get his voice to work.

He heard Riku let out an annoyed groan before walking off. The beam of light disappeared.

Michael raised his head in shock. The carriage he was in was completely empty. No sign of Riku, or any other passengers.

"Hey – come back!" Michael called, his voice choked with panic. Of course, nobody did.

Michael opened his mouth to call to the other boy again, but all that came out was a frightened gasp.

How could he just leave without waiting for me? Michael thought, feeling anger fill him. After I agreed to do what I wanted.

But he was too scared to be annoyed. Panic filled him, his breath coming out in terrified gasps as the train sped up and the surrounding darkness intensified.

He forced himself to calm down and think clearly. He knew the logical decision would be to return to his seat, but he wanted to see if Riku returned first. Maybe he had just forgotten about Michael. And he was still somewhat determined to impress his new friend.

Michael sank into one of the seats, letting out a sigh of relief as his head fell against the window. Slowly, his legs stopped shaking and his heartbeat returned to normal. He could still feel the train jolting beneath him, but he wasn't as afraid of falling over.

I'll rest for a while, and then return to my seat, Michael thought. That is, if Riku doesn't return.

He couldn't believe he had been so stupid. Why had he left his seat and wandered through the train? Just because of a few taunts? Well, now he knew he should return. He started to feel a little better as he counted the rhythmic motion of the train in his head and it became a comforting lull again.

Just as he was beginning to drift off in the seat he was sitting in, he glimpsed a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye in the window. He sat up straight in his seat, realizing it wasn't a good idea to doze off while not in his usual carriage. Then he gazed out the window, curious about what he had seen.

He immediately regretted that decision. What he saw outside the window made him jump in shock. A dark, shadowy figure, moving swiftly across the side of the tracks. At first, Michael thought it was a shadow, but something about its swift movements and long, arm-like appendages told him it wasn't. It looked like a very big spider – but Michael knew that no spider could be so fast. It kept up with the bullet train, running alongside despite its small, short size.

And then, his blood ran cold. The figure raised its head and made direct eye contact with him – and Michael caught a glimpse of its gleaming, piercing dark eyes.