Chapter 9 - Anger

Start from the beginning

We're going to need to talk about today at some point... with all the things we witnessed he must be in a similar mental state... even if I have been repressing mine so far.

Finally Levi broke the silence and Leah tore her eyes away from him. "What's the hold up? Erwin's never late... they should be here." His voice was soft as he continued. "At this rate the damn MPs'll show up first. That'd be our luck." His voice turned sour as he lifted his mug to his lips and sipped at the liquid inside. Neither Eren nor Leah spoke.

"Yeah, who can say? Maybe they're all takin' a shit. Duty calls, right?"

The ginger woman rolled her eyes but of course the teenage boy found it funny and let out an amused but repressed chuckle. "You're, uh, sure in a talkative mood today, Captain Levi." Eren said in an attempt to make conversation. Leah could practically see the nervous beads of sweat on his face as he spoke to the older male. She forced out a curt laugh and Eren's head swivelled to look at her.

"Yeah, just not with me, turns out?" Her jab at Levi caused Eren's eyes to dart nervously between his two Captains. Leah's gaze was now back on Levi, willing him to turn and face her. She wasn't exactly sure when this anger in her had started or why she felt it but at this moment she wanted nothing more than to get into a screaming contest and just let it all out. Perhaps she wasn't doing as okay as she had thought. When Levi didn't say anything, Leah pressed the matter further.

"Were you planning on telling me about this meeting or were you hoping I'd miss it?" The criticism in her voice was getting harsher as she continued and she had to stop herself by digging her nails into her thighs. Levi just sipped at his tea.

"I sent Eren, didn't I? You're here now." He turned to Leah for a moment before moving his attention to Eren, the coldness in his eyes sent a shiver through Leah's body. "And so what if I am? Doesn't mean I was talkin' to you."

Just as Leah went to retort again she was stopped by Levi wincing and grabbing at his leg. She could see the guilt on Eren's face grow as he looked away from Levi.

"Did Hange find you okay?" Leah asked in a more level-headed voice, nodding towards Levi's leg. He made an amused noise before turning to look at her. "So it was you that sent Four-eyes after me... I should've known." Though he had an air of annoyance to him, his words were followed by a short, dry chuckle. "Yeah, they found me. And insisted on bandaging my whole leg... though what help that's been, I don't know."

Leah nodded, a small smile on her face and Levi looked away, finally finishing off his tea and placing the empty mug on the saucer before him. "How's your chest?" Levi's words caused Leah's eyebrows to knit together. She hadn't thought he'd noticed there was anything wrong. "It's seen better days. I've got a pretty gnarly bruise."

Levi stared at her for a moment. The dancing firelight caused his eyes to flash between a sparkling silver and dull grey. She held his gaze.

Finally Eren spoke up, slicing through the tension, and they both looked away. Leah's chest tightened inexplicably. "It's my fault... I made the choice. If I'd have thought this through none of this-- We wouldn't--" His was choking up and he stopped himself before tears could spill out. Leah shut her eyes tight in response to his mention of the day's events, hanging her head to hide her face behind the locks of her amber hair. "It's okay, Eren." She murmured softly.

"You made a judgement call. Look, no one expects you to be clairvoyant..." Just as Levi finished speaking the door to the mess hall flew open and a group led by Erwin entered. Eren stood up with a gasp. Leah recognised two of the youngsters in tow as Armin and Mikasa but at first glance none of the other faces looked familiar.