Chapter 6 - Titan Shifter

Start from the beginning

The world seemed to fall still around her as everyone reclaimed their breath and tended to any wounds. Leah hooked herself to the tree Erwin and Levi were stationed in and made her way swiftly over.

"We've been bested." Erwin said in a deep, frustrated tone. The steam rose around them as Leah sat down on the branch, letting her legs dangle off the edge. Her ODM gear clattered against the wood as she bowed her head, her hair falling in front of her face as she did so.

"Oh, don't give me that crap. Not now. Not yet!" Levi seemed reluctant to give in but Leah found it hard to think of a way out of this one. They'd just watched the titans cannibalise the female titan, a fate she had called upon for herself just so that they wouldn't discover her true identity.

Erwin looked like he was being driven mad by not knowing and now, never getting to know. "Think about it. The enemy was prepared to make sacrifices, enormous ones... so committed to maintaining her secret she'd rather let herself be cannibalised than exposed."

The two men continued bickering about the situation as Leah just stared blankly down at the titans mindlessly consuming the remains of the once 14 meter female titan.

"I can't believe... after all that, she still managed to beat us." Leah's steady words were barely a whisper but the two men listened carefully.

"There was nothing we could've done to prepare for that. Even if we had the whole military here, she would've just kept calling titans until they overpowered us completely." Levi reasoned from his spot on the tree. When Leah glanced up at him she was amused by the way he hung there, looking as indigenous to the trees as a bird might.

"C'mon let's get our squad before they get too lost without us." Leah suggested to Levi, pushing herself into a standing position.

"Not yet, Captains. First replenish your blades and your fuel." Why would we need more fuel? Outrunning the remainder titans would be easy. Leah had enough fuel to carry herself through any potential encounters, going to refuel now would just seemed like a waste of time to her. But she didn't argue, clearly Erwin had his suspicions about things. And as Levi went to retort, Leah swung over to hang next to him off the tree.

"Don't argue with your Commander, Levi." Leah mocked, tugging a lock of his hair. He snapped his head round to face her and gave her a death glare, still unmoving from his perch. "That's an order, Levi." Erwin confirmed. The black haired male growled in annoyance and Leah stuck her tongue out at him.

"Whatever you say, sir." Levi's voice was monotone and drenched in sarcasm before adding, much less sarcastically, "I trust you implicitly."

"You keep him in check, Leah." Erwin said seriously as if to just piss off Levi even more. The two Captains both knew he was joking, just lightening the mood; before the very dark turn the day was yet to hold.

-

The red-head and ravenette weaved through the trees as blue flares were fired into the sky in all directions. The signal to withdraw.

"Erwin's not convinced this is over, is he." Leah asked her co-captain as she swapped their used canisters out for a fresh set and replenished their blade supply.

Another flare fired in the distance, the colour of it being masked by the high canopies of trees above them.

"No, I don't think he is. But let's just find our squad and get out of here before any other crazy shit happens."

Leah thought back to the scene they had just watched unfold. Would the titan shifter really have just let herself get eaten? Surely not. And if she was a spy, did that mean she could be a member of the Survey Corps? Dressed as our own?