Chapter 7 - A Meal Left Cold

"Do you want to?"

The sentence rings in the air for a moment, leaving Sol speechless at his sudden act of courage - even if it is molecular.

She blinks for a second and opens her mouth to speak before fully responding, "Sure." She watches him now, studying his reaction.

He smiles at her warmly as he keeps his gaze set on her. "How about dinner then? I don't know of many places around here... but I can find something." He suggests.

Sol's curious smile soon fades, "I, Uhm... I'm sorry, I can't. My sister's coming to town today. I'm having dinner with her and my father tonight." She gives a half-hearted smile. "Maybe another time."

He returns the half-hearted smile, "That's alright." He sits up straight once more. "Your sister... the elite?"

She nods, placing her clasped hands in her lap. "Mmhm. Her name's Blue."

"Blue?"

"After Neptune."

"Like the planet?"

"What else?"

"Hmm." Miguel made a dumbfounded face, mentally facepalming at the fact it was so obvious. "What's your sister like?" He finally asks. He already partially knows her answer, at least from what Diego told him. But he figured that hearing her side of the story would be best, and, of course, he couldn't tell her what he already knew about her sister.

Sol blinked, "Blue? Oh. Uhm..." She pauses as if she's trying to piece it together herself. "She's... determined." She took in a breath while nodding, "She's um... yea. Determined." She then clears her throat and makes it a point to change the subject. "Do you have any siblings?"

He looks up as if he didn't expect a question from her. "No. Just me and my parents."

"Do you like it that way?" She asks, now finishing her coffee.

"It's peaceful, but sometimes I wish I had someone to grow up alongside with. Not just a friend, yanno?" He gestures around with his hands, soon finishing his coffee as well.

The two exchange a glance as if asking one another if they are ready to leave since they've finished. They exchange a small nod. The two stand in unison and clean up their table together, stacking their empty cups and wiping away the small coffee ring stains with spare napkins before walking towards the exit side by side.

He holds the door open for her as they leave, she quietly thanks him in return and he follows after her. A small tradition of theirs now.

As they walk alongside one another, Sol looks straight ahead. He decides to speak up first. "So, what's your Friday's usually look like?"

Sol looks up at him, "Usually I tutor Kira for a couple of hours, but today's session was a bit short." She shrugs before tilting her head. "Do you mind me asking you something? It's more personal."

"Sure." He responds without thinking too much about it.

"Are you single?"

He blinks widely, his face growing hot. The feeling in his chest from before coming back for just a moment. "I- what?"

Sol blinked, not quite understanding his response, "You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

He quickly shakes her head, "No! No. It's just... sorry. It caught me off guard." He clears his throat, "But, yes, I'm single." He studies her face now, "Why do you ask?" He asks, his curiosity now piqued.

Sol shrugged, "Kira, she was curious."

He furrows his brows together, "Kira?"

She nods, "Yeah, the girl I was tutoring today? She was in the library when you asked me for coffee."