Chapter 1: Lightning Strikes

Blythe Avery's eyes glanced up as the late bell rang for the commencement of the last period of the day, and of course Blythe's favorite subject... History.
Her insides shook with excitement as today they would be covering the topic of the American Revolution. She ecstatically flipped to the starting page as stated on the whiteboard and browsed through the pages, while everybody else just sat in waiting for Ms.Burwell to cover everything in the lesson. Blythe twirled a lock of her auburn wave around her index finger.

Ms.Burwell strutted her way to the front of the classroom, catching everybody's attention with the sound of her heels clacking against the dirtied tiling of Waynesboro High School.

"Goodafternoon class," She chirped. "Please turn your books to page two hundred."

Luckily Blythe was already ahead of the gang, just as she turned the page of her book, something had caught her eye. Her azure eyes dilated in curiosity as she eyed the chiseled features of his porcelain face, his icy blue eyes gave off a piercing familiarity, and he was fancied in his red and green uniform and feathery black hat that secured around his chin.

"Could anyone share what they know about the American Revolution before we begin?"

The class seemed blanked out the moment she spoke, until she caught a hold of Blythe who still held her gaze on the the fancied man in his uniform.

"I see Miss Avery over here reading over a caption of Colonel William Tavington of the Green Dragoons."

Blythe upon hearing her name, peeped up at Ms.Burwell who adjusted her red-rimmed glasses unaware of her teacher's comment. Her nose twitched in oblivion.

"Blythe, you were reading the caption, right?"

"Oh-um, yeah." She stammered with a slanted smile, in hopes nobody saw her retardedly gazing at the small portrait. "Might I have an input?"

"Go on Miss Avery." Ms.Burwell fixed a lock of her graying curl as everybody else turned to give Blythe their undivided attention.

"You see, Colonel Tavington was always portrayed as this villain according to history due to, of course his brutality. But what I'm curious to know is what was his clear motive? Because it is impossible for anybody to perform such cruel acts without any motive, and nobody as far as I know was born a villain. Does that make sense?" She elucidated. Her pale skin formed goosebumps in the process of it all

The class nodded in response, and some actually got the point of Blythe's statement.

"Very interesting point there Miss Avery. In fact keep that in mind class, nobody does certain things without a certain motive. Blythe, you're brilliant."She smiled as she proceeded with the lesson.

As soon as the dismissal bell rang, Ms.Burwell beckoned her eighth period best student over to her desk with a small envelope, and she smiled with delight as she handed the tiny envelope to Blythe, her name was written in a fancied script font.

"I know graduation is two weeks from now, but in advance I would really like to tell you, it was an honor having a history-loving girl like you in my class Miss Avery, and I also wish you all the best as you go off to the University of Virginia. I know you will be just fine." Ms.Burwell added, after all Blythe Avery would be one of the top 5% students in her graduating class, making her a Summa Cum Laude graduate at Waynesboro High.

Blythe smiled shyly as she held Ms.Burwell's card close to her, and her rosied lips parted into a smile that was inevitable. "Thank you." Was all the young blue-eyed, 18-year old could reply as she made her exit out of the school and out to the driveway. A wave of bliss flushed over her as she jangled her keys in hand; locating her brand new Honda Civic, her present after all she was now a licensed driver. She quickly freshened up her face and touched up on the rosiness of her lips before turning the key in the ignition to the sound of John Lennon's mellow calming voice in Strawberry Fields Forever. Blythe could hear herself nonchalantly mumbling to the chorus as she approached the intersection, indicating she wasn't too far from home, and sure enough she pulled in the driveway, relieved to be home, until she realized, she wasn't off from work today...

Blythe slammed the door behind her, trotting upstairs to her room. Mom was once again on the nightshift, like she has been for the past year. She collapsed atop her bed, knowing that shortly, she'll have to drape on that stupid uniform to the Sit N' Bop diner. She couldn't wait until graduation came, so she could finally turn in her resignation to her boss who always had something to bitch about with her, and drive off to Richmond to begin her start at the University of Virginia. She couldn't stand Waynesboro much longer.

Ten minutes passed, Blythe stressfully arose undressing out her her torn jeans and red Aeropostale t-shirt and donned her paper-thin, white-collared dress, her black nylons, her frilly pink neck tab, and her pale pink nametag with the Sit N' Bop diner logo just an inch below her name. She touched up her face, applying more foundation over the remnants of makeup that lasted during school hours, grasped her Michael Kors handbag, stuffing her portable chargers, along with her phone and headphones inside.

She made her way out the door, back to her vehicle, and twisted the key in the ignition once again. For a few minutes, it revved to life. But as Blythe paused to catch her breath, the engine died down.She tried once again to start it back up, but no luck. Just then, her phone buzzed with an important warning:

"Major lightning storm brews over Waynesboro, everybody is highly recommended to stay indoors."

But, she paid no mind to the warning and chucked her phone back in her purse. "I don't have time for this." She vented.

"DAMNIT!" She slammed her hand at the wheel knowing Jeffrey was sure to bitch at her now. She attempted several more attempts, none prevailed. She was stuck. She stormed out of her car to the curb of the driveway, furiously dialing Jeffrey bracing to hear his constant bickering on how she always has some damn excuse of not coming into work. As the phone rang, Blythe glanced up to see a lightning cloud approaching in the distance. There was no possible way for her to even go with the rate things were now.

"Thank you for calling Sit N' Bop, Jeffrey speaking." His bland, deep voice rang in her ear.

Blythe shuddered in disdain upon the sound of his voice. "Jeff, it's Blythe-"

"Blythe where the hell are you!"

"Listen I cannot make it today. My car wouldn't start, and there's a lightning storm headed this way."

"Blythe Avery..." He guffawed. "Always having some goddamn excuse eh?" He continued laughing.

"Excuse me?"

" You would do anything to just miss work." He grunted in disgust. "Stupid girl."

Blythe's eyes wheeled up as the gargantuan grayness hovered over over, she inhaled deeply, until she could see a lightning bolt forming, coming at her with full force. Before she could even move or scream, she had gone numb as she hit the ground, unable to feel a single thing. Her eyes blanked out, everything had faded to black...