Plum Boy

It's a High School crush. Even if I do get him in my hold, it'll end before a day has passed. It's a waste of my time. River was yipping and yapping about Whats-his-face. No but really, what was his name again?

I could care less really. Seeing my father's face so despondent today made my whole year. I will never forget his sorry ass. No, no. You know he ain't sorry. When I packed my shit into my mothers car, I have never felt happier. What a Hell-Hole I lived in with him. Never ever wanna go back there.

I rested my head in my palm, my elbow leaning on the window of the car. I could not wait to see my siblings after years of being apart. I wanted to start fresh. No boys, no goofy little family problems. 

We parked in my mothers garage and I took my stuff out, hauling it into the house. Although I'll still be in the same school. I don't care. I'm starting new. I'll still be smart, and I'll work harder. 

I promise

I woke up to my alarm. I nearly shit myself. I forgot I moved houses. I was so confused at first. I put on some jeans and a white T-shirt. I ripped a dark green jacket off of my coat rack. Fumbling down the stairs, I made my way to the kitchen. Everything was so clean. Considering it was fall, my mom had fake leaves draping the windows and lining the door frames. Black and white pictures in gold frames held onto the wall for dear life.

Light beige walls and the scent of pumpkin spice filled the house. My mom baked an apple pie last night and fed it to us. I could still smell that apple scent in the air. It burned my nose.

Little L.E.D lights lined the ceiling. A modern wood table sat in the middle of the dining room across from the kitchen. Orange and red leaf table cloths laid over it. Fake fruits and corn laid in a bowl at the middle of the table.

I felt at ease. At home. I felt like I was in a real American household. Not some rusted down dirty trailer. I grabbed a bowl and poured a serving size into it. That was when one of my other siblings had walked down the stairs.

I had mentioned earlier that I had 4 siblings. Three were boys, One was a girl. Counting me, all my mother had was quintuplets. Rare, yeah. Quite rare actually. That is five kids birthed on the same day and time. Isaac wobbled down the stairs, still awakening from his morning drowsiness. He looked like me, just with way shorter hair and a skinny body. 

"Morning." He mumbles once he walks his way to the kitchen. I nod at him in response. Then he pauses. Isaac stares at me for a full minute. 

"Wait a damn minute." He said,  narrowing his eyebrows. "I saw you yesterday."

No you didn't. I'm being sarcastic.

"Charleston. You are Isaac. I'm staying here because dad couldn't pay his rent." I blurted out. I didn't even dare to sugar coat it. You get the full cake without the happy birthday song. No candles.

Isaac nodded. 

"Do you go to Muncy High School? I go to Hughesville High School." He said. They both were quite close.

"Muncy, yeah." I poured the milk into my cereal and passed it to him. He put his hand up and waved it off.

"Lactose Intolerant. Sorry mate." I look at him for a second, then take the milk carton back and place it in the fridge.

"Is that why you didn't eat any of Mom's Apple pie last night?" I asked, grabbing a spoon and shoveling cereal into my mouth. Isaac nodded. To be honest with you, I thought that would be a start to a conversation but just ended there. There was no "Oh that's neat" or "Are you allergic to anything?" It's like a brick wall had been placed between us.