Chapter Eleven

Magsimula sa umpisa

"What are you running from?" Alex asked him as they both started to walk their horses out to the pasture.

Alex didn't want to play a contest, but Kayce hadn't been abducted because they thought he was someone else and then kept in a room for five days without proper care.

"Not running from anything," Kayce shrugged.

"Then...?" Alex looked at him. "What are you running...after?"

"You," Kayce looked over at Alex.

Not wanting to respond to that, Alex clicked her tongue and her horse took off. Kayce trailed her for about thirty minutes. They rode through the valley, past the trees, and through openings until Alex pulled up along the river. She slowed her horse to a stop and leaned forward, the soreness almost unbearable right now.

Kayce came up beside her, with a small smile on his face until he looked at Alex. He slid off his horse, tying it to a tree limb before walking over and holding Alex's horse's reins.

"Come on," Kayce reached up to her. "Let's take a break."

"I don't know if I can get down," Alex sighed, trying to breathe in through her nose.

"I'll catch you," Kayce's hands held her waist as Alex rolled her outer leg around and tumbled down.

Kayce caught her, holding her tight against him as he waited for Alex to find her footing again. Once Alex was standing upright, Kayce tied her horse next to his.

"Here," Kayce led her over to a boulder jetting out near the river and sat Alex down slowly.

"Maybe you were right," Alex winced before looking up at him. "Maybe it was too early for this."

"We can take a break," Kayce smiled. "Let you rest some before we head back."

He sat down next to Alex as they both looked out over the valley. They sat in silence for a while, the river being the only sound Alex could hear. It was peaceful and far enough away from the lodge that she felt like she was untouchable there.

She could feel Kayce's eyes on her. Her face had healed some over the past week, but she knew there were still bruises and marks on her skin.

"You're staring," Alex said, looking over at Kayce.

"How are you feeling...really?" Kayce asked her.

"I'm..." Alex trailed off looking into Kayce's eyes.

She felt a lump at her throat again, the all too familiar feeling of being hopeless and alone shot through her veins. Her fingers twitched as Alex took a shaky breath. She glanced around, Kayce's warm eyes too much for her.

Gently, Kayce reached out and cupped her cheek with the palm of his hand. Alex's eyes found his again almost as if by command. He leaned in closer, touching his forehead to Alex's as his thumb gently traced over her cheek.

"I'm sorry that happened to you," Kayce said, his voice low and rough. "M'sorry I wasn't there...that I didn't get there faster, find you faster."

Alex shook her head even though she knew there was truth in Kayce's apology. She knew he had guilt, it was written all over his face every time she saw him. She just didn't realize there would be any for her specifically, no when he son had been in the same boat.

"When I saw you," Kayce swallowed hard. "I just...all I could think about was holding you and keeping you safe."

Alex reached up and held onto Kayce's wrist of the hand holding her face. No one had ever said something like that to her before.