End of the beginning (chapter 9)

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry" Jess mumbles inaudibly into the pillow next to me.

"What for?" I ask.

"For puking over the girl you've loved since...since forever."

I chuckle which makes the bed gently shudder and I turn towards my best friend who was looking pretty dishevelled. "Seriously don't be. Besides if there's one thing I know to thank you for putting on the party is that I got to find out what Kaylee is really like" I say.

"Oh yeah. I kinda recall you telling me something about that last night but it's all rather hazy at the moment. I'm sorry."

"It's fine, at least now I can concentrate on graduating rather than trying to please Kaylee" I reply truthfully. There was one thing I would miss after graduation and that was the person lying her head in my lap in front of me. "I'll miss you Jess" I say barely above a whisper.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing" I smile back.

........

"I actually can't believe we've made it!" Jess screams.

"I know crazy huh" I shake my head slightly bewildered that we had actually made it and survived highschool relatively unscathed. "Anyway stop being all emotional and zip me up" I ask Jess turning around for her to zip up my dress.

"You look amazing babe" Jess gasps as I turn around

"No you do" I smile grabbing her hand.

"Ready!?" Jess's mom shouts from downstairs.

"Yes mom we are" Jess shouts back down rolling her eyes and laughing. "Ready?" She asks. I nod as hand in hand we descend the stairs.

We go outside for photographs as we do I feel my phone vibrates, I check the number. It was Kaylee and for a brief moment I went to answer the call, my thumb hovering over the green button. We hadn't had any contact since the party. I hear voices and look up to see Ivy and her little sister walking over and waving. I quickly mute my phone and throw it back into my bag. I wave back. I catch Jess staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Just...nothing" she grins. "Just please make one promise whilst I'm away.

"Ok" I say curiously.

"Give it time. Don't give up."

"Umm sure" I reply unsure of what to say. "You know Jess I'm going to miss you so much." I say giving her a hug.