Liam looked stunned that someone wanted to hang out with him. Zayn was a little irritated that Liam was so trusting towards Baela. At the same time, he was glad.

"I don't know," Liam rubbed the back of his neck. "I
don't think my aunt and uncle would like that."

"That's okay. I don't want to get you in trouble. We
can study tomorrow."

"Okay." Liam rolled into his tiptoes then back onto his heel a few times.

Zayn bit his bottom lip while his heart tumbled clumsily around his chest. His cuteness is going to kill me, he thought bitterly. Why didn't I get a werewolf?

"H-How about we meet at the library tomorrow night? A-At five?" Liam asked, and Baela agreed.

"Sure. Enjoy the rest of your night, Liam."

"You too." Liam hurried off before she returned to Zayn.

The werewolves watched him jog down the street until he turned a corner and disappeared. Baela shrank by Zayn's side once more. They didn't speak until the boy's scent diluted with the cold air.

"You're a good liar" Zayn observed.

"I suppose" Baela shrugged. "He's a nice kid."

"I suppose."

They looked at each other, and for once, Zayn didn't stare like he would boot her into the road.

"We should get back," Baela sighed. "before your mum-"

"Loses her fucking mind," Zayn muttered and stood up. He stretched, desperate fora run. They walked back to the woods together and changed into their wolves. Female wolves were a little shorter than male wolves, yet Zayn and Baela matched each other's height and paw size.

Her wolf glanced away like Baela was embarrassed. Zayn decided not to point it out.

Instead, he whacked her with his paw, and she hit her snout on a tree trunk. He bounded off into the distance, his tongue flying free in the wind as Baela chased him.

Zayn had been a lone wolf for as long as he could remember. He didn't run with his mother anymore because she no longer had her wolf and seeing Zayn transform made her sad. Even when she did have her wolf, Zayn barely ran with anyone other than himself. His father had been too into his life lessons, and his mother was too concerned about going too far.

Zayn was reckless on his own; just the way he liked
it.

As they ran deeper into the woods, he wouldn't admit that he was having fun, trying to outrun Baela, though he wouldn't deny it either.

Stars twinkled bright by the time they reached the institute. They shifted to their human forms before
walking to the gate.

One of the guards gave them an odd look as they stood together. Alpha's usually never spoke to their Omegas and relied heavily on their Betas and Deltas to talk to the Omegas for them. Baela had done more for Zayn that day than Jaiden and Niall combined.

They continued to walk together up the path and to the institute. Other wolves watched and whispered. Zayn was back to his usual grumpy mood by the time they reached the door.

"Remember," he whispered witha scowl. "Tell anyone about Leeyum, and I'll break you."

Baela stepped back and bowed her head. "Yes, Alpha."

Solana, after helping clean up in the cafeteria, decided it was time to pester her son about why he had ignored everything she said to him that morning, and disappeared by himself all day. He would never connect with the pack if he kept shutting them out.