Chapter 15

•Riverstorm•

     Riverstorm woke up, still sweaty from his dream. He gasped in the cool, clean air. He inhaled and exhaled a few more times before he closed his eyes. He heard faint voices talking not too far away. He only caught snippets of the conversation:
     "-storm comes around-"
     "-miracle that he is-"
     "-pray to StarClan-"
     "-heavy breathing-"
     "-hope and pray that-"
     "-if he dies?"
     "-fate is in the paws-"
Sunpaw and Mossypaw came around the corner of two thick oak trees. Riverstorm quickly pretended like he had just woken up. Sunpaw, delighted, called to Mossypaw, who was gathering up a few stray herbs. She hurried over, her mouth full of an assortment of leaves. She dropped them when she saw that Riverstorm's eyes were open.
"Is anything hurting? If so, where?" She started frantically checking him over, pressing herbs on to different spots, before changing her mind and putting them somewhere else. Riverstorm shook his head, trying to shake Mossypaw off him. His pain didn't matter now, he needed to carry out StarClan's wish.
"Need—go-go ThunderClan—camp—by-by—dawn. A-all of—us." It was a struggle to speak when everything was burning like a wildfire on his body. He was already blazing with pain, and more sparks flew when he talked. There, he thought. I told them, StarClan. We'll be there by dawn. But Mossypaw was shaking her head, a small smile on her pretty, tabby face.
"I don't know where you got that idea in your head, Riverstorm, but you aren't going anywhere." Riverstorm gave a small hiss of annoyance.
"Star-StarClan—gave me—dream—last n-night." He said, hoping that Sunpaw might believe him. Sunpaw did indeed look intrigued by the thought of a dream from StarClan, but then his face hardened, obviously thinking of going back to ThunderClan. Riverstorm groaned inwardly.
"Maybe you just dreamed it." Mossypaw replied. "You're not a medicine cat."
So? Riverstorm wanted to retort. Plenty of cats who have had prophetic dreams haven't been medicine cats. We've got to go! Sunpaw, however, was starting to look thoughtful.
"Mossypaw," he began, "why would Riverstorm fake a dream saying to go to the ThunderClan camp? He has no business there, nor do you or Beepaw. Why would he want all of us to go there together?"
"A-Ash-Ashflower told—me there—would be—message—there." Riverstorm managed to say. Mossypaw started.
"How do you know who Ashflower is? Or was, should I say." She looked slightly furious, as though it was treasonous that Riverstorm should know who Ashflower was.
"My—first Ga-Gathering—she had—just d-died." He was again proud that he was able to speak a sentence without dying halfway through it.
     "I think he's telling the truth, Mossypaw." Sunpaw interjected when she opened her mouth to say something. "If StarClan truly wants this, we had better go." Mossypaw glared at him, but then she dipped her head.
     "I cannot disobey StarClan's wish. We will go at once. Sunpaw, would you, Beepaw, and Moonpaw carry Riverstorm on your backs?" Sunpaw nodded.
     "I'll go tell the other two." He said. He hurried off toward two lumps across the clearing. Riverstorm saw him poke both of them. One leapt in the air. He tried to break out in a small purr, but it caught in his chest. He attempted to drag himself up to a sitting position, but he collapsed. Mossypaw rushed over, but Riverstorm shooed her away.
     "I'll get—myself up, Mossypaw, but thanks." He said to the beautiful tabby she-cat. "Don't worry—about me. I'm stronger—than I look." He struggled to his paws again, and this time, to his surprise, he stayed standing. He tried not to show his surprise to Mossypaw, though. He tried to take a few steps, and he was actually able to. He was a bit wobbly, but he could move alright.
     "I don't need—to be carried, but support—might be nice if we're going—all the way to the ThunderClan camp." Mossypaw looked like she was about to protest, but Riverstorm shook his head and gave her a look. Riverstorm didn't know what kind of look he gave her, because he couldn't feel part of his face, but Mossypaw immediately backed down and even gave him a slight smile.
     "Alright, Riverstorm. I trust your judgement. You are the one dealing with the pain, anyway." She purred and moved closer to him. Her scent wreathed around him. Riverstorm really hoped that the look he had given was not what could have been mistaken for love. She was right beside him now, and suddenly Riverstorm really missed Sorrelstream. She was the one who had been by his side for most of his life, the one who had befriended him when no one else would, the one who had never left him. Now, she was the one who loved him, and Riverstorm realized he loved her too. His heart filled with longing for his best friend and crush.
     "Riverstorm," Mossypaw began as she launched into her dramatic speech. "You know I love you, don't you? You don't have to be unsure anymore. Riverstorm, I will happily join RiverClan and not be a medicine cat to be your mate. You know that, right?" She purred harder now. Riverstorm rolled his eyes. He struggled not to rude as he replied to her:
     "Mossypaw, I do know. I am very sure—of your love. However, you have no—need to join RiverClan or give—up your role in your Clan for me." Riverstorm took a deep breath. "Mossypaw, I-I don't love you back. I don't now, and I don't—think I ever will. I'm sorry, but we can't be—mates if I don't feel the same way—about you. I am already taken. My friend from RiverClan—is the only one who will ever—have possession of my heart. I'm so sorry if you—thought that I loved you, Mossypaw. You are still a dear friend—to me after all we've been through—together, though." Mossypaw eyes had only been growing wider and rounder as Riverstorm. She stuttered as she began to speak again.
"I-it was just a dare. Bee-er-Sunpaw dared me when we in the clearing while I was-er-gathering herbs. You see, I-I don't feel that way about you, it was just a stupid prank." She kept fumbling over her words in a way that made Riverstorm feel as though she was lying. He had heard part of the conversation between her and Sunpaw, and it had had nothing to do with a prank or dare. He curled his tail around and lifted up Mossypaw's chin, which was now wet with silent tears.
"Mossypaw, I've been watching you and how you treat me—and how you-er-treated Brackenstar. You loved your leader, and you love me now. There's no—shame in that, and I will always be your friend, if not your mate. You are bound to—the medicine code, and we both know you aren't—allowed to take a mate. Mossypaw, I hope you know—that I hold nothing against you, and that you are welcome to—talk to me anytime about anything at all. I will always be here—for you, Mossypaw, as one of your friends." Riverstorm sucked in a breath and held it as he waited for Mossypaw to reply. It finally came with a sob.
"You're right, Riverstorm. I know I'm bound to my code, and I know you're from a different Clan, and I know I'm only an apprentice, and I know I'm so much younger than you, and I know you don't love me. I know all the reasons that we can't be together, but it doesn't stop me from loving you." She hiccuped. "Or loving Brackenstar," she added softly. Riverstorm curled his tail around her shoulders now. He hugged her close. She sobbed into his chest fur, as she was only tall enough to reach his chest. Riverstorm had a feeling that most of those tears were for Brackenstar.
"It's okay, Mossypaw. I know you miss—Brackenstar, and I miss him, too. Maybe Ashflower has something good—planned for us at the ThunderClan camp. We'd better go—before Sunpaw comes and teases us." Mossypaw let a half-sob, half-purr, as Riverstorm stood up. She hauled herself to her paws as well, and they stood there for a moment, watching the moon high in the nighttime sky. Sunpaw, Beepaw, and Moonpaw came bounding up.
"Let's go! We've got to be there by dawn, right?" Sunpaw asked excitedly. Riverstorm nodded. Beepaw and Moonpaw stood on either side of him as they set toward Sunpaw's home. They were all silent for a while, each thinking something completely different than the others.