Chapter 4

•Sunpaw•

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!" Lightstar's strong, deep mew rang out. Sunkit smoothed his fur down quickly. He and Moonkit practically ran outside the nursery.
"Sunkit, Moonkit, come here." The two young cats bounded forward to where Lightstar was perched. Sunkit danced on his paws excitedly.
"You two have reached the age of six moons. It is time for you to become apprentices. Moonkit, from this moment, and until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Moonpaw. Cheetahstride, my eldest son mentored you, and you have shown promise as a great warrior. I hope you will pass on your fighting skills to Moonpaw.
"Briarpool, you are ready for your first apprentice. I know you will make an excellent mentor for young Sunpaw."
Sunpaw rushed forward to touches noses with his gray-and-white tortoiseshell mentor. He saw a large yellow tom with black spots do the same with Moonpaw.
"Moonpaw! Sunpaw! Moonpaw! Sunpaw!" The Clan cheered. Everyone crowded around to congratulate them. Sunpaw turned to look up at Briarpool.
"What do we do now?" He asked, hoping to start hunting right away. She glanced down at him.
"I'm going to show you around our territory." Sunpaw's heart sank, as he imagined every other apprentice's heart would. Briarpool headed toward the camp entrance. He raced after her, suddenly feeling excited at the thought of going outside of the camp for the first time. He pushed through the brambles after his mentor. The small golden apprentice heard pawsteps behind them. He turned around to see Moonpaw and his mentor standing there. Cheetahstride looked at Sunpaw.
"I thought that it might be a good idea for you and your brother to explore the territory together." He mewed. Sunpaw took his first glimpse of ThunderClan's woods. He had never known the world was this big. He caught up with Briarpool just as she stopped by a big tree.
     "This is the Sky Oak," she said, not looking away from its vast branches. "The sandy clearing beneath it is where the apprentices battle train." Just then Russetbreeze and Icewing, along with their apprentices, Sandypaw and Darkpaw, arrived in the clearing. Russetbreeze turned to Briarpool.
     "Ah, sister. I thought that Sandypaw and Darkpaw might train together in the clearing. Would it be okay if Sunpaw watched us? Moonpaw too, of course." He said, nodding his head to the small white apprentice. Sunpaw's tortoiseshell mentor nodded her approval. Sunpaw dashed over to the edge of the clearing. Sandypaw turned to greet him.
"Hi, Sunpaw!" The pale brown she-cat mewed. Darkpaw ran circles around him.
     "Are you coming to train with us? How many moves do you know? Are you excited to be an apprentice? Is Briarpool nice? Isn't this clearing so cool? Isn't the forest so cool? Aren't the trees so pretty?" The black apprentice's questions went on and on. Sandypaw growled at her. Sunpaw stopped listening.

     A golden she-cat.
     A dark brown tom.
     The she-cat purrs. She rushes to greet the tom. There are stars in her pelt. The tom rubs his cheek against her muzzle. Where have you been? The she-cat says, You took your time. He shuffles his paws, clearly embarrassed.
     I-I, well- he stutters. She nudges him.
     I'm just kidding, she says, Although it has been hard waiting all these moons. Over half a dozen leaf-bares have gone by since I last talked to you. I remember those badger's fangs; right up against my face. I don't blame you for leaving me behind. I thought I was dead too.
The tom gives a slight laugh, trying to lighten the mood. He looks at her regretfully. I wish I could have seen you in those moments before you died. He sighs. I missed you so much. Growing old in the elder's den did me no good. It would have been better with you by my side.
I know, she says, It wasn't my choice to die, you know. It was a simple accident. Smallclaw never meant to kill me.
A flame-colored tom appeared by her side. He has brilliant green eyes. The brown tom gasps. Foxcatcher? My dear friend? I had no idea that you had passed. I thought you simply weren't at the last Gathering. I'm so sorry.
     The orange tom gives a mrow of laughter. He shakes his head. My name is Firestar, he says, But Foxcatcher is here too.
     Foxcatcher! The brown tom rushes to another orange cat that appeared. They greet each other. The she-cat walks up to him as well.
     It's been awhile, aye, brother? She bats him playfully. He swipes back. I had no idea you were in StarClan, you great furball. She says to him. He purrs. Firestar turns to them.
     I love when families and friends reunite, he says, to no one in particular. A ginger she-cat pads up to him.
     Let's let them be, she mews. She turns and walks away, Firestar at her heels.
     You're fading. He turns to look at her. You know what that means, right? She sighs.
     Less cats are remembering me these days. She lays on the ground. He curls up next to her.
     I won't let you fade. Never. As long as cats remember me, you won't fade away.
     A tom who looks almost exactly like Firestar comes up behind them.
     I'm going to fade soon, he mews. Firestar jerks his head up.
     Who are you? He asks. The orange tom laughs.
     Ask Tallstar. He sits down a few tail-lengths away. Just then, a lithe black-and-white tom runs up.
     Jake! I never knew you were so fast! He exclaims. He stops when he sees Firestar. I see you two have met. Jake chuckles.
     I have a feeling I know exactly who this young tom is. Tallstar laughs with him.
Firestar, do you know who this is? The flame-colored tom shakes his head.
No, Tallstar, he answers politely. He clearly respects the black-and-white leader. The elder tom's eyes sparkle.
Firestar, from the moment I saw you, I knew who you were. Firestar looks at him, confused.
Who am I, then? He queries. Jake and Tallstar exchange a glance.
I knew from the second I laid my eyes on you, you were Jake's son. You are the spitting image of your father. He twitches his whiskers, clearly amused. Firestar's mouth drops open in shock. The ginger she-cat stares back and forth between Tallstar, Jake, and Firestar.
But-eh-huh? Firestar sputters. His fur is bristling in shock. How are you in StarClan? He asks. Jake comes a little closer to them. The she-cat growls. He sits down.
Tallstar, he mews simply. Tallstar made me believe. I could have died and gone where kittypets go, but Tallstar made me believe. He was Talltail at the time, of course. Tallstar licks his chest fur in embarrassment.
     That wasn't the reason Jake and I came, though. Firestar flicks his ear.
     Oh? He tilts his head toward Tallstar to go on.
     I wanted to discuss the new arrivals in StarClan. The black-and-white tom licks his paw casually.
Oh, Foxcatcher? Firestar sits down to wash the ginger she-cat's pelt. She purrs with contentment. Tallstar shakes his head.
The other two. Their love was forbidden, you know. Firestar stops licking at Tallstar's words.
The warrior code has changed, he points out.
They chose to stay in separate Clans, the she-cat retorts. Firestar frowns.
You're siding with Tallstar, Sandstorm? A kittypet joining a Clan was forbidden, but here you are, mates with him. He gives her an injured expression. She growls.
Don't forget that I hated you at first. Dustpelt and I taunted you. We chanted 'once a kittypet, always a kittypet.' I didn't like you until I became a warrior. But of course, Bluestar insisted that you join ThunderClan. Sandstorm purrs. He laughs, his memories taking him back to that time, many, many moons ago. Tallstar clears his throat.
Should they be allowed to stay in StarClan? He queries. Jake tilts his head thoughtfully.
Yes! Firestar answers immediately.
Perhaps Tallstar is right this time, Firestar. They broke the warrior code. A she-cat's voice comes from the shadows. It is a gruff sort of voice. A blue-grey she-cat steps out. Firestar kneads his claws on the grass. Night is falling.
But Bluestar- he protests. She flicks her tail for him to be quiet.
It was forbidden, Firestar. Her tone is firm now, but not unfriendly. The flame-colored tom growls.
I broke the warrior code, Bluestar. You bringing me to ThunderClan was a violation. He finishes washing Sandstorm's pelt.
You broke it many times, my dear friend. Bluestar says coolly. He laughs.
Besides, Leafpool, Squirrelflight, and Crowfeather are in StarClan. He points out. That was before the warrior code changed. Bluestar sighs. She sits down next to Tallstar and Jake.
He has a point, Tallstar. Jake is here too. Tallstar nods slowly.
What do you think, Jake? The orange tom licks his paw and swipes it over his ears.
Like Bluestar says, I'm here and I was a kittypet my whole life. Firestar is here too. He looks in the distance wistfully, then looks back at Firestar. I remember when you were just a kit. Your name was Rusty, if I remember correctly. I knew that you would grow up to be something greater. Firestar's eyes grow round, as if Jake told him something horrible had happened. He licks his chest fur hurriedly.
I remember that too, though I don't like to. I prefer to think of my warrior days. Tallstar flicks his tail.
Jake? He asks. What do you think? Should they be allowed here? He sits down to wash his pelt. It's dark now, and they can hardly see their paws in front of them. Jake settles down for the night.
I say they stay, he says sleepily. Only a few moments later, he is sound asleep. Tallstar nods.
You all have spoken. They will stay.
What about ShadowClan, SkyClan, and RiverClan? Bluestar asks. Puzzled, Tallstar tilts his head. Shouldn't the other three Clans have a say? One of them is from ShadowClan, anyway. Tallstar nods.
I'll go get Blackstar, Crookedstar, and Leafstar. He says, already a few tail-lengths away from them. Bluestar nods her approval. Soon the lithe tom is back with three other cats; two toms and a she-cat. The first tom is white with four black paws. He's massive, with a stone-faced, but not unfriendly expression.
     The second tom is a ginger tabby. He has a more inviting look as his gaze sweeps over the gathered leaders. The third cat, the she-cat is also ginger. She seems to be the most friendly out of all of them. She has a slight prance to her step, like she is a young apprentice going on a patrol.
     Why did you call us here, Tallstar? The large, white tom inquires. He dips his head the black-and-white tom.
     I need you, Crookedstar, and Leafstar to make a decision about the new arrivals here. He proceeds to explain about the brown tom and golden she-cat. Should they be allowed to stay? He asks as he finishes telling the story.
     I think that they should stay, says the ginger she-cat. The ginger tabby nods his agreement.
     I agree with Leafstar, he mews. The white tom narrows his eyes.
     I have the final say, he points out, And I think that they shouldn't be here. It was forbidden.
     Blackstar, we've all broken the warrior code at some point. Firestar counters. Blackstar growls.
     Some more than others, he says, obviously annoyed at being here.
Please, Blackstar. He protests, trying to get the tom to reconsider.
One of them is in my Clan! Blackstar snarls.
The other one is in my Clan. It makes no difference whose Clan they're in. Firestar is on his paws now.
Some of us don't want a bad reputation for our Clan. We all know ThunderClan lets kittypets and loners into their Clan. The big tom lashes his tail.
     Look who has a former kittypet in their Clan right now. Firestar taunts.
     Look who is a kittypet, Blackstar hisses.
How dare you! I am a Clan cat through and through! Firestar yowls.
Your father, he spits, is a kittypet. Jake gives a hurt expression. The other cats are looking on in shock.
He's more of a warrior than you'll ever be! Firestar crouches down like he is going to leap on the massive, white tom.
Enough! Blackstar roars. Suddenly, everything falls dark. Everything is gone.