Chapter 6

•Riverstorm•

The rain had finally let up. Riverstorm was glad that he could eat prey that hadn't sat in a puddle of rain water since it had been caught. Being with Sorrelstream had been a little awkward since she had told him about her crush on him. He had been purposefully avoiding Cranestar. The older tom seemed to have lost his mind since his threat to kill Riverstorm.
     He headed out of camp to do some fishing by himself. He found himself walking along the stream where he and Cranestar had fought. He knew that Cranestar hadn't made a move to talk to his daughter. As Riverstorm sat down to fish, memories came flooding back.

"Come on, River! Let's see you try to catch a fish!" River raced alongside his littermates, relishing the warm breeze. He was surprised that Pepper, his mother, was allowing them to go near the river after it had thawed. He could see the water flowing over the banks on either side. It was a clear, sparkling blue.
     River dashed toward the edge. His brother, Lucky, followed close behind him. River could see Tad and Panther, his other siblings, splashing in the water nearby. Confident, he sat down at the edge to see if he could catch a fish. After a minute of waiting, he shot out his paw to scoop up a small minnow. It lay wriggling on the bank for a moment before going still. He felt a flash of pride. My first fish! He thought.
     He picked it up in his mouth and brought it over to where Pepper was lying. He dropped it in front of her. "Look, mama. Look what I caught!" He exclaimed. She purred drowsily and brought the minnow nearer to her.
     "Good job, River." She mewed. "I'm sure there's more where that came from."  River nodded. He was happy that river-thaw was finally here. Suddenly he heard a yowl.
     "Mama! Pops! Help!" River rushed to the stream to see Lucky scrabbling to get out of the water. "Save me!" He cried. River tried to go after him, but Pepper stopped him.
     "There's nothing we can do, River." She said. "The water is too high. It will take him somewhere else. This is his destiny. We cannot change it." River watched despairingly as his beloved brother was washed down the rapidly flowing brook.

     Riverstorm jerked. He had been so caught up in his memories that he hadn't noticed Pantherfur walk up next to him. She looked at him. "What were you thinking about?" She asked.
     "Lucky." He said simply. She leaned on his shoulder.
     "Oh." She murmured. "I think about him all the time."
     "Do you ever wonder what happened to Pepper and Tad?" He turned to look at his sister. She nodded.
     "I wish we could have known our kin better. I love Jaystorm and Flashmask like they are actually our brothers, but it's not the same."
     "I miss Chance." Riverstorm sighed. "He was a good father to me. We were so close. I wonder where he is now." Pantherfur washed his shoulder in a few brisk licks.
     "I came here to talk to you about Cranestar." She said.
     "Is it about how he threatened me?" Riverstorm asked drily.
     "I want you to know that I don't agree with what he said to you."
    "You don't agree with how he threatened me and compared me to a minnow he killed, you mean." Pantherfur ignored him.
     "I want you to know that you can rely on me as the littermate you played with when you were two moons old. You can stick by me and I'll stick by your side. River, you are the best brother I could ask for." He rubbed against her, breathing in the same scent he had known since he was born.
     "Well, Panther, you are an amazing sister. I love you so much. I'll always be there for you." They both purred and sat together for a while. Finally, Pantherfur looked up at him.
     "There's something else I wanted to tell you." He glanced at her in surprise.
     "Oh? What is it?" She looked down in embarrassment.
     "I'm expecting kits." She blurted. He glanced at her belly. Now that he was paying attention to it, it did look slightly swollen.
     "Congratulations!" He purred. "Have you told Twistedclaw, yet?" She shook her head.
     "How did you know he was the father?" She blushed.
     "You two have been spending a lot of time together lately." They lay there until dusk. Side by side, the two siblings headed home.
                                                                                                                ***
     Riverstorm woke up to a loud pounding. He cracked open an eye sleepily. Cranestar was standing on his boulder by the Tall Rushes. He was banging his forepaws against the edge of the rock. Is this some new way of summoning the Clan? Riverstorm thought. He sat up and stretched. Most of the Clan had already gathered in the clearing. He walked out and sat down by Pantherfur and Twistedclaw. Sorrelstream came and sat beside him.
"Pantherfur is stepping down from her deputy position because she is expecting kits." Cranestar announced. Twistedclaw purred loudly. Everyone gave murmurs of congratulations. Cranestar cleared his throat. "Oneleg will be the new deputy until her kits are made apprentices." Riverstorm nodded. Oneleg was a good choice. He was loyal, but he wouldn't follow Cranestar blindly. He was a senior warrior that the whole Clan would respect.
"Oneleg! Oneleg!" The Clan cheered. Suddenly a thought struck Riverstorm. Why didn't Cranestar ask StarClan to approve his choice for the new deputy? He wondered. He exchanged a glance with Sorrelstream. Clearly she was thinking the same thing. Cranestar glared at Riverstorm before leaping off of the boulder and vanishing into his den.
     "What was that about?" Sorrelstream asked as soon as Cranestar was out of sight. Riverstorm shrugged, not wanting to reveal the lingering tension between her father and him.
"I was wondering why he didn't ask for StarClan's blessing. I think something is wrong." Sorrelstream nodded, looking concerned. "Maybe I should go and talk to him." Riverstorm glanced away.
"I think it might be best if you leave him alone for now." He mewed. Sorrelstream narrowed her eyes. "Why don't you go visit Sandtail's new litter?" He said quickly. Sorrelstream looked queasy at the thought.
     "I've never gotten along well with my mother, either." He sighed.
"Do it for the kits." He said. She nodded and turned toward the nursery. Riverstorm sighed with relief as she disappeared inside. He heard the excited squeaks of the three newest daughters of Cranestar. He padded back to his nest.