Chapter 21: Lies Beneath the Truth (2)

Eira's throat had dried up after she had spilled everything to Raed. Her mood dampened further. She felt like she had revived the whole thing again. However, every time Raed would give her some hope as he tried looking for a loophole. They had to begin their search now.

"Okay, we are done for today. Tomorrow I'll have the artist called and you'll have to describe them to him," He looked at her expectantly and she nodded with certainty.

He got up and grabbed the food tray from the bedside table. It was already nighttime and Eira felt a sense of emptiness wash over her.

Ignoring it, she asked,

"Did you speak to Nimrah?"

He nodded solemnly. Before he could say anything, a faint knock sounded on the main door.

I'll get that," He said, walking away.

It was Nimrah, followed by Sophia. Eira had to blink twice to make sure it was her.

"Hey. How you doing?" Nimrah gently smiled, trying to appear alright but Eira knew better.

"I'm okay," Eira answered and motioned her to sit by her on the bed while Sophia remained standing behind.

Glancing up at her, she noticed her fidgeting her fingers.

"Are you okay, Ma'am?" Eira asked in a polite manner although she didn't want to speak to her.

Nimrah gave out a loud sigh when Sophia didn't say anything and muttered,

"I'm so sorry for not telling you things sooner, Eira. Maybe if I had, things wouldn't have gone down as such," Her face held regret and sorrow.

Eira was confused. She had no idea what Nimrah meant and she was stunned that she was speaking openly in front of Sophia.

Sensing her baffled state, Nimrah cleared it out, "The night you heard me talking on the phone...It was Sophia on the other side. She's my ally."

Eira's breath hitched as she squinted her eyes.

"What are you saying?" She blurted.

"Sophia knows about us, Eira. She was also bought by the trafficker. In fact, she's the first one they bought and brought in the Palace." Nimrah revealed.

"How is that even possible?" Eira asked incredulously.

"To get bellydancers in the complex, they needed someone at the head who would cover their evil actions and they got Sophia for that." Nimrah explained.

"You were covering them?" Eira said in an accusing tone.

"Hey, shh," Nimrah lightly touched her arms to calm her down.

"She had no say in this. She's as vulnerable as we are-were. She had to do as they said, or else they would have killed her only five-year old son." Nimrah said, her face clouded with darkness.

Sophia still stood silent behind. When Eira looked at her, she mustered some courage and marched to the other side of the bed to sit next to Eira.

"I'm sorry for misunderstanding you, Eira. The day you came, you seemed so excited when you met me. I thought you were among the ones who had no problem getting trafficked," She let out and Eira scoffed.

"Who the hell likes to get trafficked? Are you insane?" Eira couldn't help herself but lashed out.

"I'm from New York. When they brought me here, it was a bit similar like your journey, but longer. I met with a lot of other victims and some of them really don't mind getting bought as long as they are living a lavish lifestyle, all granted to them by their master. I thought you were one of them because you showed no dismay," Sophia explained.