30| New family?

14 years old

14 years old

"Happy birthday my sweet boy." My grandmother's voice says through the phone speaker.

"I want to come back to you." I reply instead.

"My sweet boy," Her voice turns soft, "I miss you so much too."

"Then why am I here and not with you?" I argue.

My grandmother takes a breath, "Because it's important you spent time with your father too, my sweet boy."

"What if I don't want to?"

"You don't want to spend time with your father?"

"It's not that, Babaanne." I look down at my lap, "Baba doesn't have time for me."

"Ah my boy, don't say that." My grandmother says in her warm voice. "Your father misses you, he just couldn't express enough."

"If he can't, then he doesn't needs me." I say looking at the small girl seated in front of me, who kept looking at me with her bright sparkly eyes. "He already brought his new family to live with him."

That little clingy girl who kept roaming behind since last night I came here, gets up from the couch and plops down on the carpet beside me.

"Doruk...my boy, we have already talked about it, didn't we? Look, try to spend some time with them, I know it might not be easy to see new people in your house, but atleast try my son. I promise those two are very sweet. And if you still don't want to, you can give me a call and I will pick you up and I promise I will never send you to your father's house again."

Before I could answer, the girl drops the brown teddy, which looked like it had seen better days, on my lap and looks at me expectedly with a wide smile.

"Can we play together?" She asks innocently.

I look at her face. She looks nearly ten and still plays with teddy bears and expects me to play too?

I look away from her and answer my grandmother, "Alright, Babaaane, I will call you later."

"Love you, my sweet boy."

I place the phone back on the receiver and look at the girl again. I give her teddy back to her. "No."

Her smile drops and her lips turn down. Usually I don't sympathise with strangers, but I don't like the expression she just made. I almost wanted to accept her offer to play but I decide against it.