Twenty Three

Haerin, what's wrong?" Eunchae asks as soon as she sees Haerin sitting on her porch stairs.

Haerin just stays silent,keeping her head low. She doesn’t know how to say what happened a while ago between her and Hanni. She can't even process it.

"Sorry I couldn’t pick up your calls earlier. I was taking a shower. Why are you even sitting on the stairs?" Eunchae asks again.

Haerin stays silent again. Eunchae frowns and wonders what's wrong. Haerin is acting quite odd. She comes outside and sits beside Haerin on the stairs.

"What's wrong,Haerin?" Eunchae asks softly,placing her hand on Haerin's shoulder.

Haerin sighs. She wipes her face with her hand and tries to clear her throat.

"Me and Hanni–" Haerin feels like something is stuck in her throat.

"You and Ms.Pham are? What?" Eunchae asks.

"We…we are…" Haerin tries her best to not to break down.

"You are what?" Eunchae gets impatient. 

"We are over" Haerin finally completes her sentence.

"Over? What do you mean by that?" Minji almost yells out.

Hanni puts her face on the pillow. She doesn’t have any strength to answer Minji's unnecessary questions.

"You put an end to it just because of that simple matter? And it wasn’t even Haerin's fault fully. Mr.Shota and you also have faults. And you are just blaming Haerin for this. What is wrong with you" Minji says.

"Oh shut up" Hanni yells out and throws away the pillow. 

Minji stops talking, seeing Hanni raging for the first time. Hanni stands up and walks near Minji. 

"Why are you acting like it was all my fault? I told you what she said to me after seeing that. She said every painful word she found. She didn’t even let me explain to her that I didn't have any consent and even I was dumbfounded by that sudden kiss on my cheek" Hanni says. 

"Why couldn't you just stay away from Mr.Shota? It's clear like daylight that he likes you and he wants you. I don't think you are dumb enough to understand that" Minji shouts.

"I am not dumb and yes I know that he likes me but what excuse do you think i have to show him in order to stay away from him? Should I tell him I am dating my own uni's student?  Do you think that will be appropriate enough?" Hanni shouts back.

"Dating? Are you freaking kidding me?" Minji scoffs. 

"What do you mean by that?" Hanni confusedly asks.

"You weren’t dating her. You were just being with her. For the last year she is the one who is waiting for you to commit. But you are the one who isn’t ready to commit. You have been making her wait for a long time and keep going on with this ridiculous situationship. And then you can't even make any excuse to keep your distance from someone who likes you, which has been bothering Haerin for a long time. What the hell do you think you are even doing,Hanni?" 

Hanni stays quiet. She slowly averts her gaze from Minji because she doesn’t know what to answer.

"I know you love Haerin. But just because you love her doesn’t mean she feels being loved by you. When you can't even do the bare minimum. I am your childhood best friend but I am sorry to say Hanni, you don't deserve Haerin" Minji says before walking out of the room in order to leave.