13. Reunited

Damien had gone back to his kingdom to make a plan and find help. Mason had spent a day or two in the village. He noticed how different things were there. How everyone is hard at work to make themselves money. How kids his age had friends. And how people treat each other differently.

He wasn't fond of the outside world and was afraid. He wished his sister was there to guide him.

Little did he know, his wish was about to become reality.

__________

*Mason's POV*

'Alright, so... I may have a disguise, but I do not have a cover name or story. I shouldn't have told Damien that I'd be fine alone. I'm just a kid!'

I was walking around the village. I didn't want to stay cooped up in my room, no matter how afraid I was outside.

I was so stuck in my thoughts, I've forgotten to get breakfast.

I started to look around. There were food vendors, but they didn't have the kind of food I liked. Like bread or meat. Yeah, something like that I guess.

I kept looking around until I was met with a bakery. I saw through the window bread and all kinds of pastries. My stomach made a rumble sound and I just knew to not keep it waiting any longer.

As I stepped in, I was greeted by a wonderful smell. How delicious!~

"Hey kid! What could I get for ya'?" a lady behind the counter asked.

"Oh, uhm- I'll have anything fit for breakfast!"

She chuckled, "So nothing specific? Alright then. Would a breakfast seasoned egg on toast do for ya'?"

"Hmmm I guess? Sure!"

"Alright, I'll put it in a container so it's easier to eat. Do you need utensils?" She asked.

"Nope, I'll be fine! Just as long as there are napkins" she laughed at my silly request.

"Alright then, it'll be done in a few minutes."

"Gotcha, thank you!"

"No problem, kid."

She gave me a smile before going back to what I'm guessing is the kitchen. I waited patiently.

After five minutes, she came back with my breakfast.

"Alright, here you are."

"Ah thank you! I'm starving" I exclaimed as a small drop of drool leaked out from my mouth.

"Hah, no problem! Enjoy" she handed me my food and I gave her ten pieces of silver. Four silvers were a tip from me.

"Bye kind lady!" I said before leaving the bakery. I wanted to eat, but I couldn't. I needed a spot to eat my breakfast in. And no way was my room and option.

I decided to follow the path outside of the village. This feels weird to be outside of my kingdom. I finally reached the gate and saw another path. It led into the nearby meadow of the village. I decided to make my way down the path and ended up at a pond.

I took my seat and joyfully ate my breakfast.

A few ducks had arrived, I'm guessing they wanted some of my breakfast. I ate all of the egg and had some bread left, so I just gave it to them. As they ate I thought to myself.

'Hm, this must be your breakfast as well. How fun! I'm glad to share my breakfast with some new friends.'

After thinking that, they then left.

'Oh...well, you did finish the bread so uh... I guess it would make sense to leave. Have a nice day!'

I sighed and looked around. Everything was so serene and quiet. So...peaceful. It reminded me of Mira. How'd she so peacefully finish up her painting project. Or gracefully learned how to dance as I kept stepping over my toes. Heh... I miss my sister.

I subconsciously started to tear up. She was the only family I was close with.

Suddenly, I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard something. I looked up and on the other side of the pond, it seemed like a lady was there having a... crisis by the sounds of it?

I decided to walk over there. I was bored soooo yeah!

When I got there, I heard a familiar voice. I hid behind a tree and listened.

"Ughh this is so frustrating! He'll get so awkward once he finds out I'm the girl he liked. And hate me for not telling him earlier! Should I even? Or would that ruin our friendship? Man, sometimes I just wish I wasn't a princess!"

She was at a full blown breakdown- wait, hold on... princess?

Now I know why she sounded familiar! She's my sister! She's my sister... but would she want to see me right now?

I sighed not realizing it was louder than expected.

She then became silent and I heard her footsteps come towards me. "Hello? Wilbur, if that's you... I promise I was just kiddi-"

"H-hey miss! Do not fear because I am not... Wilbur? Ah I must go haha"

"Oh no you don't!"

She grabbed me before I could escape.

"Ah man..."

"Mason!? What are you doing here? You shouldn't be outside of the castle. It's dangerous!"

"So is inside of the castle!"

"What?..."

I sighed and decided to tell her everything. Once I finished, she was shocked. She must be overwhelmed with this shocking news. But not only that, I could tell she was also enraged

"Dad fired Miriam, a past suitor of mine has taken over the castle and is currently looking for me, Damien is out making a plan, and you're here alone!?" She started to hyperventilate.

"What have I done..." she fell on her knees and covered her face.

I sat by her and hugged her.

"It's not your fault, Mira. You had the right to turn them down. Although, friend zoning a lot of people is kinda crazy, especially if they're your suitor." I chuckled.

She then hugged me back "I'm so pathetic. Thinking that becoming friends instead would be alright. They came here for a reason, and it was to find a partner or to unite kingdoms. And I was just too afraid of that responsibility... except for Damien. He's cool"

"Mira, it's alright to be scared. We're all always afraid. But fear isn't a bad thing. It helps protect us. Fear makes us alert and prepared to deal with danger. And other situations... my point is, becoming a queen has a lot of responsibility. And you know that. So let that fear prepare you and help you. Just like Damien!"

I smiled at her and she hugged me tighter.

"Hey, you're only nine. Where'd you get that wisdom?"

"Ten and a half- I'm just that wise."

"You mean, you didn't get that knowledge from a book?"

"Huh? Of course not, pft-"

"Anyways, you still have a crush on the baker's girl, right? I'm a great friend of that baker~ So if you want..."

"Nuh uh- I do not have such a silly thing."

She pulled away and laughed.

"Hm, how about that guy you had a crisis about? Wilbur was it?"

She then became silent and flustered "Shut it, Mason. C'mon, let's go"

She stood up and cleaned off her dress. "Huh, where?"

"Before I help with this serious matter, let's go and meet Wilbur. He's a friend of mine" she answered as she held out a hand.

"Hah, friend" I muttered as I took her hand and she led me back into the village.

Well, this was certainly not how I expected our reunion to be like. But I'm glad...

__________

*Oof, sorry. It's kinda long hah... see you next Saturday?*

*Also- we're nearing the end, so I just wanna take a quick second to those who stayed by and read the chapters of this book. I know it's not perfect, but I'm learning. I can't wait to start on another book, maybe. I need to improve first lol. Anyways bye, thank you, and love you <3*