4. The Night

It has now reached dinner. And Mira has been escorted to the dining room where her family has waited for her. When she arrived, she quickly sat down on her chair.

*Princess Mira's POV*

'Finally, my favorite time of the day' I thought.

As the food arrived and the servers started placing them down, father started to ask about today.

"Mira, you have met quite a bunch of men who are suitable to your liking. Have you any thoughts of marrying any of them," he asked.

"Well," I paused for a bit waiting for the servers to be done with their duty, "If I'm being honest, I don't think I will be marrying any of them."

"What," mother said in shock, "But how about that one guy that you were getting well along with? His name was... Louis?"

"Louis? Oh dear no, he's nice and cute but I could only ever see him as a good friend of mine," I said.

"A friend," father said with a hint of annoyance, "Mira, the reason your mother held this event was for you to find a partner. There's no time to be making some silly friends."

Hearing him say that made my blood boil for some reason. I was used to him sheltering me and Mason. And being forced to make connections with those who are like "us". But I am almost eighteen now, and I'm sure I am able to have friends; and so was Mason.

I said in a rather cold tone, "I would rather have silly friends then no friends at all".

I then got up and left the room as mother, Mason, and the servers were all stunned.

Father looked like he was about to yell, but couldn't since I was already out of the room.

Miriam followed behind me to my room. As we both entered my room, I stood in silence while Miriam closed the doors.

"Mira, are you alright," she asked with concern.

"I'll be fine," I assured her, "Could you just set a night gown on my bed while I write the letters."

She answered, "Of course, I'll get on with it."

She started right away and I started on writing the letters for the five men who attended.

A few minutes went by and I was already on the fourth guy's letter, the obnoxious pig, when Miriam finished.

"Well, is there anything you would like me to do before I leave you be," she asked.

"You've done enough, Miriam. Thank you, I'll see you tomorrow," I told her.

"Alright," she paused, "Well, uhm, good night then."

She then left my room, and now I felt alone again? I don't know why, but it was sad.

I finished and started writing on the last one. I didn't have to say much but a "I can't wait for our friendship to blossom" kind of thing. 'Cheesy' I thought.

Finally I was done and started to change into my night gown.

As I got into my bed, I looked out the window and gazed upon the kingdom. This would be mine one day. But I'm scared I won't be ready for it. And how could I rule the kingdom, if I have no personal knowledge about it. I just want one chance, just one chance to see what life is like for the people.

Then a thought came to my mind. My room wasn't that far from the ground level. It's very dark out so no one would be able to notice if any of the royals would've snuck out. Or if anyone else snuck in, which is why it's a good thing we have locks on our window. From the inside, I added to my thoughts.

If I were to make a rope from some spare sheets, would it be stable enough to go down... No, this is so irresponsible and risky for me. Yet, maybe that's my problem. I have tried to please my parents my whole life.

So I think I'll...

*Be seeing "Her Decision" in the next chapter, in two days 😉 So, yeahhhh thanks for reading. See y'all soon (⁠☞゚⁠∀゚⁠)⁠☞