The Entomologist

The duo sat around their campfire, huddling around the warmth. A cold front had come in while the group had been recovering in Pinwheel Forest and it added a new degree of difficulty to traveling.

Then, while they were sitting, Serena suddenly started chuckling. "What's so funny?" Cynthia asked.

Serena shook her head, grinning.'"I'm still thinking about how frazzled you got when I got hurt."

Cynthia huffed. "I don't see what's so funny. You could have gotten seriously hurt."

Serena grinned wider. "But I didn't. That's gotta count for something right?"

Cynthia sighed heavily, relaxing her body as she did. "I suppose."

The conversation almost fizzled out when Serena perked up again. "I actually forgot to ask you. Why did you come to Unova?"

"Oh, right! I came because I'm supposed to hold an exhibition match at the Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup in Lacunosa Town." She shrugged. "I arrived here early because I wanted a little vacation before."

Serena started poking the fire with a stick. "But so far there's been only Team Plasma. Nothing much to celebrate."

"Well I met you."

Serena yelped in surprise, dropping the stick as she blushed.

"That's something to celebrate."

Serena hid in her hands, blocking her sight from the outside world.

"So, care to tell me about where you got a shiny Pokémon?"

"Oh, Valiant?" Serena looked over to the twins who where napping. They had exhausted themselves earlier with all the walking and playing and were catching up on some much needed rest. "I got them from an egg. The egg was a gift from the Daycare on my way to Nacrene City."

"An egg, huh? You know, I got my Garchomp from an egg too."

"Wow, really?!"

"Yeah, it was also a gift. We trained together really hard." She chuckled. "But maybe too hard. I hurt my Pokémon with how harshly I trained them and had to rediscover myself to become a true trainer."

Serena listened silently to the Champion, taking in the advice.

"I remember I was so stubborn then. Wanted to become the strongest. Took me a while to realize I was doing it wrong. I hope you don't have to go through that with those twins. Pokémon are all different. Some needs a little more time than others."

Serena nodded.
_____________

"Sorry but I have to go." Cynthia said to Serena. She had just told her her plans—to go back into the Pinwheel Forest to check for any stray Plasma soldiers and then explore Unova some more—but Serena didn't want her to go. The Champion was awesome in every possible way, and she'd taught her things about training and Pokémon in general that would have taken her months to learn on her own. The lady was practically her idol now.

But she knew she also had a lot to do as Champion and her strength was needed elsewhere instead of just babysitting a seventeen year old.

"Okay..."

Cynthia took note of Serena's reluctance to agree and smiled. "But I'm sure we'll meet again. You're gonna go places—I know it. Hopefully you'll will be ready for a battle by the next time I see you. Good Luck."

"Thanks." Serena said, practically glowing at the praise she'd given her. Battling a champion would be incredible!

"I'll see you again on day." Cynthia promised before releasing Garchomp. The gigantic creature bent down and picked the champion up into its arms. "Remember to call me if you need anything."