Chapter 4

Some people think our future is all traced since the very start, that there's only one path to take and that we can't change anything. I don't believe in fate. I believe that we are who we are and that our life is based on the decisions we take, and that's why I don't understand why I'm so unhappy. I have friends, but I feel lonely. The only person who's really here for me is my mum. I know Ashton tries his best to be a friend, but he leaves me behind most of the time. At first, I'd panic. I'd question myself on why did I deserve to lose my best friend, I'd doubt myself a lot. But now, I just don't care. I got used to it and I know Ashton doesn't mean to be absent. I guess he just loves Cindy a lot. I'd probably do the same if I had a boyfriend.

But that isn't going to happen soon enough.

My phone kept beeping but I didn't bother to look at the messages. I knew it was Calum and I honestly didn't want to know what he had to say. He's probably grossed out, disgusted, and disappointed because he knows who I really am. I don't blame him; I'd be disappointed too if I were him.

The next few months are going to be awful. I'm already mentally preparing myself for the insults.

Why did I even sign up on this stupid app? I'm so dumb, sometimes.

Guys like Calum can't be with guys like me. He's popular and everybody likes him, while I'm just a loner who can't keep the few friends he has. Plus, Calum is probably not even gay. Turns out this was probably all just a joke.

But I'd be lying to myself if I said I haven't developed a crush on Calum. As stupid as it sounds, we had some sort of connection. Calum and I have a lot in common, even though we're totally different. We like the same bands, he has a passion for music just like me and our personalities just fit perfectly. Even though we've been talking for about a week, I feel like I've known him all my life.

I pushed the heavy door and made my way outside, out of breath, because I ran as fast as I could to avoid Calum. Luckily, my house wasn't too far away from school so I wouldn't be late to meet up with Ashton.

I'm glad Ashton offered to hang out. I don't remember the last time we hung out, and let alone the last time that he was the one offering to hang out. I was usually the one annoying him. I couldn't help it though; I just miss my friend a lot.

Someone interrupted my thoughts by slamming me on the wall. I looked up and noticed Michael Clifford staring at me, an evil grin showing on his face.

"Nice meeting you here, fag." He spoke, his right hand gripping my collar, causing me to choke a bit.

"What do you want?" I questioned, having trouble to breathe correctly because of his tight grip.

"You're a disgusting piece of shit!" He yelled as I tried to push him away, but failed horribly. "Oh no, you aren't going anywhere until I'm done with you." Michael continued. He raised his fist, and at this exact moment, I thought my life would end.

"Michael, what the fuck are you doing? Get off him!" A familiar voice was heard, and Michael froze, letting go of me.

I fell on the ground and focused on my breathing, but the more I thought about Calum and Michael, the more I felt like I couldn't breathe anymore. I sat up straight and put my two hands on each side of my thighs. My body felt spaced out, like nothing seemed real. I could hear Calum yelling at Michael, but I couldn't tell what he was saying. I could feel a light dizziness, it was like my body was present but my mind was somewhere else. I was having a panic attack and I felt like I was going to die. I took long deep breaths and began to calm down, until eventually, I could breathe correctly.

I looked up and noticed that Michael had left. Calum kneeled down and cupped my face with his hands. "Are you okay?"

"Do I look okay? Your friend attacked me out of nowhere!" I let out, tears forming in my eyes.