End Of A Beginning [Pt. 3]

Start from the beginning

"B-Blink?!" Ripper snarled, rattling his limp head again. "Rrr... you can stand up from this!"

Ripper tightened his bite, shaking his head a third time. Then a fourth. Blink simply slumped to the ground, still without a word to be uttered. And he was cold... so terribly cold. 

"Blink?"

The indoraptor took a panicked step away, his toe claws spasming into the ground in terror. No. Not again. Trembling in fear, Ripper limped back to Blink, moving his snout against Blink's to feel for his nostrils.

...

...

...

"Come on, Blink," Ripper growled, nudging him over and over again. "Come back-"

A horrible scream suddenly took to the skies. Whether by animal or by human, Ripper couldn't tell. But it was a sound that sickened his gut, enough to make him whimper at the prospect of what or who it belonged to. All he knew was that it was mournful, a cry of desperation. Of failure. It hurt him for some reason. And as his thoughts began to grow, realization burned a horrible image into his skull, more than anything else.

"Seven," Ripper gasped, his spinal quills raising sky high. He looked down to the limp Scorpios and bowed his head in utter guilt. He didn't know what he could do. In truth, there was nothing more he could do. And he couldn't stand by to test every known and unknown measure to help his friend when another was in danger.

"I'm sorry, Blink" Ripper whined quietly, stumbling backward. Forcing back a cry, he turned toward the horrible noise in the distance, and limped as fast as his legs could manage. Just as his body vanished across the shadows of the forest, a soft breeze brushed across the deserted clearing, and against the lifeless hybrid.

Blink's tail twitched.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

BEEP!

"9-1-1, what is your emergency?"

Henry Wu opened his jaws to speak... but nothing came out. Try as he might, his heart begged to squeal out what horrors erupted here at Clearlake. All the evidence was there as he drove toward the epicenter of it's demise; from the cracked walls, to the flames bursting in the sky. But his mind refused. Instead, the image of Lewis Dodgson's annoyed glare reflected off the upper mirror, sinking into his mind, and entrapping him on the spot.

"Don't you remember?" He heard Dodgson's ghost suddenly hiss in his ear. "You're still dead to them. And you made this happen, not me. Do you really want to give it all up... after every wrong you've made?"

"Hello?" called the telecommunicator. Wu's eyes began to water, his lips slowly sealing up as the phone started to loosen from his grasp. Even as he wavered around body after body, car after car, he still couldn't do what he knew was right. Because, in the end, it'd still be wrong. All of it.

"Biosyn will start over, you'll see soon enough. So will you. And you'll have me to thank for it."

His fingers began to tremble along with his heart. He didn't know what to do. Wu's nostrils suddenly flared, sucking in a morbid breath, then letting it go. A tear began to form under his eyes, and the scientist forced out a quiet, and guilty growl.

"Is anyone there-?"

CALL ENDED.

It was arrogant. And selfish. He knew that. But something inside him felt indifferent to it. The longer he thought about it, the more horrible he felt. The more right Dodgson became. And the more outraged Henry grew.