"So he can suck it." Carmen laughed.

I was planning on going home after Carmen's. It was already past 10 PM, and I had work the next day, of course. It was a Tuesday night.

But when I got in my car, my phone started vibrating- and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the name.

Riley.

Before I could say anything when I answered, Riley's voice came through.

"I know it's late, and I'm sorry for that. It's completely fine if you can't- but I was wondering if you wanted to meet me at a bar? I just left the hospital seeing my mom and I didn't feel like going home. But like I said, it's totally fine if you can't! Just figured I would shoot my shot."

"You know what...I'd love to see you." I said, "I'm not even home, I just got in my car. I was having dinner with my friend, Carmen. What bar are you thinking?"

"Would you be able to meet me at The Green Parrot? It's near the hospital." Riley said.

"Of course." I said, "I'll be there in about 15 minutes or so."

"Great. Looking forward to seeing you, Jenny." Riley said to me.

When I pulled up to the bar and into the parking lot, I could see Riley getting out of her car. She had on a plaid hoodie and a pair of jeans, her hair tied back in a ponytail.

I sent her a text saying: I see you :) I just parked.

I saw her look down at her phone, and she smiled before she looked around the parking lot.

I got out of my car, and right when she saw me, she made her way over to me.

"Thanks again for coming to meet me." she said to me, "I usually wouldn't go to a bar on a Tuesday night at 10:30, but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep when I got home."

"Well, I'm glad to see you." I said, "I'm glad it was me who you decided to call to meet you."

Riley flashed me a smile and said, "I'm always down for your company, Jenny. Let's go in."

We walked in, and the bar was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday night at 10:30 PM. It was filled with people that were mostly older, I'd say in their forties, but Riley and I got two seats at the end of the bar.

"Are you hungry at all?" she asked me, "I can order us food."

"I'm okay." I said, "My friend Carmen made us dinner."

"I'm pretty hungry, honestly." Riley said, "Do you mind if I order some fries?"

"Why would I mind? Go right ahead." I said to Riley.

The bartender came up to us, and took each of our drink orders as well as the order of the fries for Riley.

"Fries are my go-to bar food." Riley said to me.

"You can't go wrong with them." I said, "The amount of times I have gone through McDonalds drive thru for fries at 1 AM, especially when I was in college, is embarrassing."

Riley laughed, "Been there. Done that. Way too many times as well."

Our drinks and Riley's fries came out quickly- and right when I saw the basket of fries that looked perfectly crispy, I regretted saying that I didn't want food.

Riley glanced at me and said, "Jenny. Have some fries. I see you eyeing them up."

"No, no. I can't. They're all yours." I said.

"No. Sharing is caring. Have some. I insist." Riley said to me.

"Thank you. I appreciate it." I said, and reached over for two fries. When I put them in my mouth, I closed my eyes and nodded, "Oh, yeah. That's good. I didn't realize I was still hungry."