Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to Yale." I answer quickly.

"An Ivy League, great choice. May I ask why Yale?"

"My family has always gone there so it's the obvious choice for me." I reply.

She doesn't even seem surprised by this because she knows about my family.

"I can understand that but college is a time for one to express themselves and grow as an individual. Have you considered other options?" She challenges.

"Wouldn't make a difference, it's Yale or Yale." I insist.

Miss June sighs and doesn't even try to convince me otherwise. College is college for me. My biggest issue is what I'm going to pursue there because I am definitely not going to become a doctor, take a finance course or study politics like my parents would like. The more I get into my art the more I want to pursue that as a career. Mr and Mrs Foster will have a coronary that's for sure but if I'm forced to go to Yale, the one thing I can do for myself is to pursue something I love.

"If you've made up your mind then I look forward to reading your essay." Miss June relents knowing she can't convince me otherwise.

"I'm working on it." I reply even though I've barely started.

"Glad to hear that. Unless you have something you'd like to talk about that's all I had for today." She concludes.

I shake my head. "No, I'm good."

"Happy to hear that, thank you for coming. My door is always open." She says dismissively.

"Have a good day Miss June." I reply picking up my bag and getting up.

I leave her office and head for the library. I have study hall and I know that Kristie is already there waiting for me.

I find her at our usual table, her nose buried in a book. When I take the seat next to her, she barely lifts her head up to acknowledge me until I poke her with a pencil.

"Ow!" She moans in pain looking up at me with a scowl.

I smile at her rubbing my thumb over where I've poked her. "Hello to you too bookworm."

"Sorry, mid terms." She apologizes setting her book down.

"You'll be fine, you're the smartest person in this school." I encourage.

"Thanks." She answers with a smile.

I take out my books from my tote bag and the letter with the tutoring money falls out. I'd almost forgotten about that.

"Did you know that we get paid to be tutors?" I ask Kristie.

She nods and glanced at me. "Yes, why do you think I do it?"

"To help?" I reply and she looks at me as if I'm the dumbest person she's ever met.

"Oh no honey. I'm in it for the money. I need it because I'm saving up for college." She declares.

"Oh but I didn't know about the money." I explain.

It's not that I am against getting paid, I just wasn't expecting it.

"It's not a fortune but it helps and we can always use an extra buck or two right." Kristie replies.

"Yes right." I nod even though I don't really need the money.

I feel guilty that I'm still hiding my true self from my friends. Isaiah knows now, it was impossible hiding it from him after he saw me with my family during Astrid's birthday dinner. Inviting him to our house was a big step but I'm glad I did it. After we sat and talked, he understood why I had to keep my life a secret. He didn't judge me or start treating me any different which I'm grateful for. He also agreed to keep it between us until I am ready for everyone else to know. I will tell them, just not now.