chapter eighteen

Dad's words echoed in my head as the room began to fade, any noises blending together as if I was suddenly submerged underwater

Dad's words echoed in my head as the room began to fade, any noises blending together as if I was suddenly submerged underwater. I could feel my heart trying to escape its cage, each beat sending lead into the pit of my stomach.

"What do you mean, they were taken?"

Uncle Nate's voice, loud and angry, cut through the fog, bringing me back to the present in time to catch the pained expression on his face.

"What's the plan to get them back?" I interrupted, taking a step away from my parents to pace. "Is Uncle Leo getting everyone ready to go now?"

"We received a message about 20 minutes ago," Dad snatched a piece of paper off of the table near the study, handing it to Uncle Nate without answering me.

"'It's time we had a little chat face to face.'" Uncle Nate's voice trailed off as he scanned the page, his eyebrows furrowing together.

"This was attached to it with a paper clip," Mom pulled a photo out of her pocket, "and so was this."

She gave me a sad grimace before revealing a familiar bracelet, its pink pearl catching the light as it dangled from Mom's fingertips.

"No..." I whispered, reaching out to gingerly touch the silver jewelry. Mom carefully placed it into my palm and I instantly closed my fingers around it. "Did the letter say anything else?"

"Yes." Mom sighed heavily before her gaze flickered to Dad. "It said 'See you at midnight... Princess.'"

An angry growl rippled throughout the room. Several seconds passed before I realized it came from my throat; a furious heat burned through my body, removing the lingering icy numbness from moments ago.

"Ramsey kidnapped them to get to me?!" I narrowed my eyes. "That doesn't make any sense... if he wanted me, why not kidnap me? Or send me a message to meet without involving anyone else?"

Mom and Dad shared a look, one that I couldn't quite tell what they were thinking; whatever their mental conversation was, they must have reached the same conclusion because Dad nodded before turning around and leaving the room, cursing under his breath. Nobody spoke until he returned a few minutes later, Alpo and Uncle Leo right behind him.

"Ava brought up a good question," Dad directed to the men as he stood next to Mom, reaching for her hand to squeeze. "She wants to know why Ramsey didn't just kidnap her, instead of Aidan and Lucy."

"Do you think..." Alpo locked eyes with Dad before his gaze shifted to Mom; I watched them curiously as Alpo's eyes widened in understanding.

"I wouldn't put it past him," Uncle Leo chimed in, nodding at Dad.

"Can someone fill me in on the mental conversation that just happened??" I huffed, not bothering to hide the annoyance in my tone as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Ramsey likes to play twisted games," Uncle Leo turned to me. "In his mind, kidnapping you - again - doesn't send the message he wants. Not when his focus is getting you to go to him."