chapter nine

Three days after my first night being back on the job, Lucy found me in my bedroom, pacing back and forth

Three days after my first night being back on the job, Lucy found me in my bedroom, pacing back and forth. She stood in the doorway quietly as I muttered to myself, looking over the notebook I held in my hands. I nearly jumped out of my skin when she finally spoke.

"Ava... what are you doing?" Lucy asked, concern in her eyes.

"Going crazy?" I replied, rubbing my forehead with one hand. "I think Eli was working with that gang we took down a few nights ago."

"What?" Lucy gasped, shutting my bedroom door behind her and sitting on my bed. "Why do you think that?"

"I'm not sure if it was him, the guy's face was covered in a ski mask type thing. But I'm pretty sure I recognized those brown eyes." I collapsed on the bed next to her, stretching out along the thick mattress.

"Okay, I don't know if I should find that romantic or creepy," Lucy giggled, dodging the pillow I tossed at her. "Okay, okay. So, what are you going to do?"

"I don't know yet." I blew my bangs out of my eyes. "If I'm wrong, I'd rather not confront him before having all the facts. That would just be humiliating."

"That's true." Lucy nodded. "Maybe you were just imagining things because... you miss him."

"What?" It was my turn to be surprised.

"Oh, come on, Ava. It's so obvious." Lucy grinned slyly. "You have a crush on Eli!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I mumbled under my breath, avoiding her smirk.

"Uh-huh. And I'm the princess of England." Lucy scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"I can't have a crush on Eli." I protested, my tone slightly defensive.

"Why not?"

"Because he's the heir to our rival gang." I reminded her. "My parents would never approve of me being with him."

"Maybe it's because I'm dating your brother," Lucy shrugged," but I've seen the way you look at Eli, and the way he looks at you. You guys have a spark. Plus, you're an adult. You can technically make your own choices when it comes to your love life."

"Okay, changing the subject."

"Fine," Lucy held her hands up in surrender. "I was coming up here to ask you something anyways."

"What's up?"

The mischievous glint reappeared in Lucy's eyes as she smiled slyly. I knew whatever she was about to ask me involved mafia business.

"How would you like to participate in some grand theft auto?"

"Oooh. It's been a while." My eyes lit up at the thought of causing mischief with Lucy. "What are we doing?"

"According to Uncle Leo, one of the smaller gangs known as the 'Rioters' are selling some very fancy, very expensive sports cars to a couple of European buyers. Cars that technically belong to Ramsey's gang, but with Ramsey dead and Eli not the leader, they're free game. Well, for us anyway. Not the smaller communities."