chapter four

The sun was peeking out from a thin layer of white clouds, Main Street bustling with people going about their day

The sun was peeking out from a thin layer of white clouds, Main Street bustling with people going about their day. I took a sip of the hot apple cider I was holding, waiting for my brother to finish whatever business he was taking care of for Dad inside the post office. As I watched two sparrows chase each other in the tree above the sidewalk, Aiden appeared next to me.

"Thanks for meeting me here, Ava. I really needed your help with this last gift for Lucy's birthday tonight." He gave me a weak smile as he offered his arm to me; I linked my arm around his elbow and we headed for the jeweler's shop nestled between the florist and Aunt Skylar's beauty salon.

"So, what did you decide on?" I asked as he held the door open, a true gentleman.

"I'm getting a bracelet for her," he started, waving to Fred behind the counter, "with a pink pearl set onto the chain. You know, to remind her of our graduation trip a few years ago. But I need your help to pick out the bracelet."

"Alright. Let's find you the perfect bracelet."

Aidan took a deep breath before he headed towards the nearest display case, carefully inspecting each piece of jewelry. Fred stood nearby, answering Aidan's questions without hesitation or a belittling demeanor. I wandered to the other side of the store, trying to picture my brother giving each bracelet to Lucy and imagining her reaction. After a few minutes, I spun around to face Aidan, my eyebrows wrinkled in slight contemplation.

"One question. Are you open-minded to telling her how you really feel about her?"

"Yeah." Aidan admitted sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Unless you think it's stupid to do it on her birthday."

"Good, and no I don't think it's stupid... I think I just found your gift."

I waited until he walked over, smiling as I pointed to the top row of boxes. Aidan raised an eyebrow questioningly, his eyes meeting mine; the second I nodded in approval, his face lit up.

"Fred, I'd like to see this one." Aidan indicated which bracelet he was referring to and Fred nodded just like I had, turning the key to open the glass case.

"Very good choice, sir."

"Is there any way a pearl could be added to it?" Aidan asked, removing a small pouch from his pocket and removing the pearl in question, handing it over to Fred to inspect.

"Of course. It should be no more than half an hour before it's ready." Fred informed him. "Would you like to come back later?"

"I'll stay here, look around. Maybe get a few ideas for Christmas..." Aidan turned to me. "You can go wander around the bookstore across the street. I know you're dying to get a couple of books on that ever-growing list you have saved to your phone."

"Thanks, bro. I'll be back soon." I grinned, halfway to the door as I waved eagerly over my shoulder. I could hear him chuckling as the door swung shut behind me, blocking out whatever he started to say to Fred.