chapter six

A week had passed since the fight at the Rabbit Hole and I was still reeling from Dad's confession about who Eli really was

A week had passed since the fight at the Rabbit Hole and I was still reeling from Dad's confession about who Eli really was. As I sat on the warm sand, taking in the blue waves dancing on the shoreline, the memory of the conversation following the truth bomb sprang to mind as I squeezed my eyes shut, letting the salty air settle against my skin.

"What do you mean, he's the heir to our rival gang? He's Ramsey's son? I have so many questions right now, I don't even know where to begin!" I sprang to my feet, my body shaking with fear as Ramsey's face flashed across my mind. "How long have you known?"

"Since the night we rescued you and Ramsey took your mother," Dad admitted, watching me warily as I began pacing in front of the fireplace. "Do you remember anything from that night?"

"Not really... is there something that I should remember?" I paused to look at him.

"Elijah's mother, Sarah, stuck a note into your waistband shortly before your mom walked into the warehouse. She told you to make sure it came straight to me, which you did after I had gotten you home and your grandmother went to give you a bath before bed." Dad spoke softly, his face softening. "She asked us to help her sister, Mary, keep an eye on the child and protect him from Ramsey's wrath once he found out they were gone."

"Why you guys though? If Sarah entrusted her sister with her own child, why ask the rival gang for help?"

"Because we could offer an extra layer of protection. Keep Eli and Mary both safe and teach Eli how to be a gentleman in our society. Sarah insisted that we keep it secret from everyone... she feared other Mafia families would come for the child after word got out about his whereabouts."

Dad took a sip of his whiskey, lost in thought as he savored the golden liquid.

"Your mom and grandma immediately took Mary and Elijah in, making sure they had food, clothes, everything. Mary was grateful for what her sister did, bursting into tears the second she saw your mother when we met them at one of our safe houses."

"She cried seeing Mom?" I echoed, confused.

"Sarah was one of your mom's friends in high school." Dad nodded slowly when I gasped. "They lost contact after graduation."

"Whoa... that's insane." I paused for a moment. "What happened to Sarah?"

"She passed away some time later. Which is another reason we took Elijah in... he needed a mother figure, and Mary couldn't take care of him the way he needed to be."

The thought of Eli not having his mother around reminded me of Grandma Sofia and tears swelled in my eyes. Dad noticed the look on my face and smiled weakly. Without another word, I made my way up the staircase to the library where I knew Mom would be; sure enough, she was sitting at the bay window, looking out the window at the night sky.