chapter eleven

Eli tugged at the tie around his neck as he and Roman made their way up the stairs into the Sherwoods' mansion

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Eli tugged at the tie around his neck as he and Roman made their way up the stairs into the Sherwoods' mansion. As the founder of the Sarah Maguire Education Foundation, Eli was expected to represent at the charity ball hosted by Clara Centofanti; part of him longed to see Ava again, although he would never admit that out loud, especially to the company in tow.

The faint sound of strings playing a lively tune filled the air as Eli and Roman walked through the foyer toward the ballroom. Couples filled the space around them, laughing and smiling as they mingled with old friends. The Sherwoods' personal catering service dressed in white shirts and black pants glided around the guests, offering flutes of champagne and bite-size appetizers. Eli lifted a flute off a passing tray as he surveyed the ballroom, a hint of a smile tugging at his lips when his gaze landed on a beautiful brunette in a red ballgown, lost in thought as she swayed to the beat of the music.

"Shall we?" Eli appeared at Ava's elbow, offering his hand as he tilted his head towards the open dance floor.

"Not even in your dreams." She shot back, rolling her eyes at his charming demeanor. The unfazed expression on her face made Eli smirk.

"Ava, please. Dance with me," he said with a smile still plastered on his face, nodding to a couple passing by, who were shooting curious glances at the unusual couple and whispering to each other.

"And what, pretend the world doesn't exist around us?" Ava shook her head violently, the curls framing her face trembling at the force. "That only happens in movies, Eli. And not the ones where the couple is mortal enemies."

"What?" Eli took a step back, momentarily startled by the sudden outburst.

With an opening between the two, a group of teenage girls sashayed through to the dance floor, giggling over boys and gossiping about people's fashion choices; Ava took the opportunity to escape before Eli could gather his wits and question her about her "mortal enemies" comment. Eli swirled around, his eyes frantically darting around the space for the woman.

Spotting Ava only steps away, Eli lunged around an older gentleman and snaked his hand around her upper arm before suddenly pulling her to the left, towards a semi-dark hallway and through a door; slamming the door shut behind them, Eli realized the room he had chosen was the West Library, a place he had been most comfortable in growing up whenever his mother visited the Sherwoods. About a minute after they stopped moving, Ava realized Eli was the mysterious stranger who whisked her away from the ballroom; her eyes widened in surprise as she stared at the man in front of her. His expression dark with concern, Eli studied Ava's face, his eyes searching for something - some sort of sign - before he spoke.

"What did you mean by, mortal enemies, Ava?"

"You know exactly what I meant."

Ava stood her ground as she met his heated gaze; whether it was lust or something else entirely that fueled the fire that lit his eyes, she couldn't tell. Eli saw the same light flicker in the embers of her eyes and swirled around to face the fireplace, losing himself in his thoughts as he struggled with what to say next.