37

BEING IN A CELL WHILE his brother was in the hospital was not what Kaden had planned.

He sat on the ground, his back against the wall, his knees pulled up with his elbows resting on them and his head thrown back with his bloodied hand gripping his hand tightly.

When Shoupe pushed him in the police car, Kaden knew fighting was futile. He could've ran in the other direction and give the officer a hard time but he decided otherwise. He couldn't get into more problems, not when it meant Blake would be left alone.

It had been fifteen minutes since he was thrown into a cell and asked to stay there and wait. Soon enough, fifteen minutes became thirty and he started to grow annoyed. But he did nothing and waited, until thirty minutes became one hour. When he heard loud voices coming from outside, he stood up and approached the bars and tried to look at what was happening.

He let out a groan when he saw Topper's mom, Cynthia standing in front of Shoupe's desk, talking to him and looking frustrated. Kaden knew it was because of him— because of what he did to Topper.

Sarah wasn't there. Kaden wasn't surprised about that fact, he figured she'd stay with Topper to take care of him to ensure that he wouldn't die despite everything. It annoyed him to a great level but there was nothing he could do about it. Even though she was no longer with Topper, she still cared about him.

"He has to stay in there for at least a month!" Kaden heard Cynthia said to Shoupe. "My son is in the hospital again. He's in a bad shape."

"Look," Shoupe took a deep breath, "Kaden said that your son burnt his house down. And his house has indeed been reduced to ashes. We went to ask his brother — who got hurt because of your son— some questions at the hospital, he said he saw your son."

"So that gives him the right to beat him up?" Cynthia shouted, her voice filled with anger. "This boy needs to stay behind bars for the rest of his life. What's he going to do next? Kill Topper? He's a public danger, he shouldn't—"

"Your son's the public danger," Kaden spoke from where he was making the two people snap their heads in his direction. "He's the one into arson here. Who knows whose house he's gonna set on fire next?"

Shoupe groaned, "you stay quiet, kid."

"You know what?" Kaden looked at the officer, "I'd keep an eye out if I were you. Maybe it'll be your house."

"This isn't a joke!" Cynthia snapped, "Topper won't do this. I don't believe it. I'll make sure you stay behind those bars for the rest of your life, you miserable pogue."

"Logically speaking, you are in no position to do that," Kaden decided to rile the woman up. "So how about you go tend to your son's wounds, doc?"

"Kaden," Shoupe shot the boy a warning look. "Don't worsen your case."

"I'm just saying," Kaden raised his hands to his sides in mock surrender. Shoupe shook his head, "don't say anything."

Cynthia turned to face Shoupe again, "look at him, he's covered in my son's blood! You best do something about this. . . about him, keep him in there for assault, or I'll make sure you lose your job."

Shoupe swallowed, nodding, "I'll see what I can do."

"Good," with that, Cynthia grabbed her bag and stormed out of the police station. Shoupe exhaled then approached Kaden's cell. He stood outside and placed his hands in his pockets.

"Let's be real here," Kaden put some distance between him and the cells as he went to sit back down on the ground, this time only pulling one knee up. "There's nothing you can do. Ask your questions and let me go."

"Why are you so hell bent on hitting Topper?" Shoupe asked, "he's a rich kid, you're not. Do you know how easy it is for his mother to make sure you spend the rest of your days in this cell?"

"Rich or not, he set my house on fire," Kaden frowned, "and sent my brother to the hospital so excuse me if I got mad and decided to beat the fuck out of him."

"You've been arrested for assault—"

"You said you're just taking me here to ask me some questions." Kaden interrupted the man, "are you really taking Cynthia's threat seriously?"

"She's the one with the power here, kid." Shoupe shrugged, sighing, "and you are covered in her son's blood. He's got broken wrists, cracked ribs, sore eyes, broken nose and tons of other issues."

"I'm proud of myself."

Shoupe rolled his eyes, "you're going to be staying here for a while so you might as well make yourself comfortable."

"You can't be serious."

"I am," the officer shoved his hands in his pockets, "unless you're willing to pay $40,000—"

"This is bullshit and you know it," the teenager gritted out, "I shouldn't even be here."

"This is not in my hands," Shoupe shook his head, exasperated, "you messed with the rich people, kid. This is what you're going to get. Cynthia's got power, there's nothing I can do."

"She's sucking your dick, isn't she?"

"Kaden—" Shoupe looked horrified by the question even though he knew he wasn't being serious.

"Unfortunately," a familiar voice spoke from the entrance, "the kooks own my father."

"Hazel," Shoupe groaned, "not now."

Kaden looked at her, his eyes falling on the person beside her. He raised his brows at Sarah. "Did you finish tending to your little boyfriend's wounds?"

"I tried to convince his mom not to take any actions against you," the blonde muttered, her eyes taking in his appearance. "She wouldn't listen to me."

"You did a number on him," Hazel spoke up as she went to sit on Shoupe's desk. "I love it."

Sarah turned her attention to the officer, "what is it going to take for him to be released?"

"$40,000," Shoupe responded making the two girls' eyes go wide. "Which there's no way he can pay so..."

"Says who?" Kaden cocked his head to the side, furrowing his brows at the officer, "I do have that kind of money."

"And where did you get that kind of money?"

"I work, you know." The half-lie rolled off his tongue easily, "ask around."

"Fine then," the officer nodded, a deep pensive expression on his face which Kaden chose to ignore. "Get me that money and I'll let you go."