Chapter 10 - Decisions

Start from the beginning

"It's time to eat," she said.

"Alright, I'll help you," I said as we got up, and the people around us began to wake up.

It took a while for us to get back to normal, but soon, concerns replaced the embarrassment, and we were talking normally.

Ayra's protective barrier was impeccable, though not perfect, while she was sleeping. For the next few days, we continued with our sleep pattern. I slept at the beginning since she preferred to stay awake until exhaustion overcame her, then she would sleep the rest of the night. She had to wake me up so we could switch, but it didn't always happen that way; often, I woke up before her, which was somewhat good.

After a week of traveling with about 50 people, I realized how challenging it was to travel with so many. We had to maintain a slower pace, and some people began to reconsider if they wanted to go to the island. Of course, I explained some things. Considering the time it took for them to start complaining, I didn't think humans could keep their heads down for so long. On that specific day, things got a bit more complicated.

"What proof do you have that this place you're taking us to isn't the same as the dome?" an older woman questioned, who seemed to have taken leadership of the older group. "How can we trust you?"

"Well, first of all, I'm not forcing anyone to go with us or with me," I stammered. I wanted to say that Ayra and I were leading them, but that wasn't the case. Ayra didn't know where the island was, let alone if it was safer than the dome. She seemed to have trusted my word, though. "Second, I don't have a cellphone with photos because they took my phone when I entered the dome," I said, but I lied. We couldn't have photos of the island to avoid revealing its location.

"And you want us to believe your word? We have children in this group. How do we know you're not deceiving us into something worse?"

"Absolutely not. On the contrary, it's a place created to protect people like us. And why would I take you to a place like this if I'm just like you?"

"Even I, who haven't seen the world in centuries, can think of a reason," Ayra replied, leaving me astonished. Even she was against me.

"What reason would that be?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Simple, an agreement with them where you'd be fine," she replied as if it were the most obvious thing to say. What's worse, many nodded in agreement.

"But then, why did you come with me?"

She smiled. "No matter what the place is, nothing can stop me now," she said, approaching me. "And your ability says a lot about whether I should trust you or not," she whispered in my ear.

"If that's the case, why are we going too?" the woman asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"Because..." I hadn't thought about that. How would I convince all those people that the island is a safe place?

"Because even if it's a trap in the end, I'll free you like I did in the dome!" Ayra said. "But if anyone wants to leave, they can go. No one is stopping you, but remember, as long as you walk by my side, you'll be protected."

Everyone began to discuss among themselves, and Ayra appeared so confident that no one dared to speak loudly anymore. She was incredible. All the problems seemed to have disappeared, but she had placed everyone's hopes on her. I would have to ask her the reason for this; it couldn't be just because she trusted me.

We walked a lot that day without major issues or rebellions. It seemed that I wouldn't have any problems taking them to Reid, but you should never expect too much from a world where people who are just a little different are hunted. And this had been going on long before people with special abilities began to appear.

We passed through another town before stopping to rest. I took the opportunity to call Reid and inform him that, despite everything, we were following the schedule. We had about a week left to reach the island if we kept this pace.

After the call, I froze when I saw SAHs. It wasn't just one or two SAHs; it was almost a squad. Why were there so many in that town? In the last one we had passed through, there were hardly any signs of them, and they didn't seem to have any clue about our movements.

"Maybe I should have brought Lina with me to read their thoughts and understand the situation." I shook my head to dismiss the thought; it was too dangerous. But Ayra could do that, couldn't she? But if they saw her, the plan would be ruined, and we would have to take an even longer route to the island.

"Furthermore, I still don't want her to see what the SAHs are like," I whispered.

I noticed they were making a move; their car started moving. They were heading toward where Ayra was with the others, and I couldn't let them get there. The barrier might not be enough. I ran as discreetly as possible and reached the area where they were in the forest, but I didn't enter.

I didn't see their car there; they went ahead to another place, not into the forest. A sudden relief washed over me, but it didn't last long because I knew that at that moment, they weren't pursuing us, so they were after other people. That didn't make me feel relieved; I wanted to save them.

I got closer to see what was happening and saw who they were chasing—three teenagers, around 12 or 13 years old. I needed to save them, but it wasn't my mission, and I had 50 more people depending on me to get there. Where were the others like me, those on a mission to the island? Someone besides me should be here. It wasn't possible that they hadn't detected them. We had technology, especially three of them; I could understand if they hadn't seen just one.

My feet felt like lead; I couldn't move, neither to save them nor to return to the forest where the 50 people and Ayra were waiting for me. I had two options, one of which could put all those people depending on me in great danger, especially Ayra, who had just left there after a long time. I hesitated once again; I wanted to save the three of them, especially because what if it was someone I knew or even me? A thought crossed my mind that left me helpless: "I wouldn't mind being caught if Ayra remained free." It was at that moment, looking at the three of them, that I thought, "Three more won't hurt, but there are children." So, I made my decision and moved my leaden feet.

Hi guys, how are you? I brought you another chapter fresh from the oven, I hope you like it!

Don't forget to vote and comment to let me know what you think of the story!

Another chapter with just one narrative, I apologize, but it would be very long if it had both.

Let me know your guess: did he go to rescue these teenagers or not?

Have a good weekend and see you next Friday!